Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Distributor (Lucas 43 D) clamp loss ANS: Yes and now extensive d.i.y. KNOCK SENSOR discussion (kit ordered)

anthony1956

We have sorted the VDO part number in this thread so I have asked VDO if they can supply one with a remote, non block, mounting kit.

Now I see what you mean I think about a crack; it looks gruesome, note the nice red shape round it, but no text yet, happy to say it's not even a seam it's a shadow.

Crack.webp

Edited by anthony1956

32 minutes ago, anthony1956 said:

Now I see what you mean I think about a crack; it looks gruesome, note the nice red shape round it, but no text yet, happy to say it's not even a seam it's a shadow.

I was thinking more about the areas ringed although I just think it is the joint where the block is bolted to the plate

I think the next thing to do is undo the bolt fixing the fitting to the block and see what you have got

Untitled.jpg.d34a9cac47109af902736d38c4777a00.jpg

5 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

I think the next thing to do is undo the bolt fixing the fitting to the block and see what you have got

yes made me laugh, read my mind - wanted to ask you first if the thread is blind? Doesn't go anywhere?

You can imagine how hard it is spannering down there with everything in place; the backs of my hands feel like they have been through a shredder

yes the white rings are just edges.

Edited by anthony1956

8 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

11 mm may do it but that is slightly smaller than 7/16

Now we're not going to have any of that sort of talk on here.  An 11mm will most certainly not do!  A 7/6 nut needs a 7/16 spanner! 🤣

Edited by Gridgway
  • Haha 1

We'll see what VDO come back with. @rkeywood has pointed me to Merlin Motorsport, who are UK based. Right now I am wondering why I don't simply bolt the knock sensor in to the 5/16 hole (longer bolt of course) with a spacer for the 8mm bit. I gather the knock sensor is simply a microphone. 

Edited by anthony1956

11 minutes ago, anthony1956 said:

Right now I am wondering why I don't simply bolt the knock sensor in to the 5/16 hole (longer bolt of course) with a spacer for the 8mm bit. I gather the knock sensor is simply a microphone. 

Are you talking about the bolt you have just undone with a 7/16 spanner?  If so it must be 1/4" surely.  A 5/16" would have been a 1/2" spanner.  Is the threaded boss you have uncovered a machined flat surface?

46 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

Are you talking about the bolt you have just undone with a 7/16 spanner? 

Yes.

IMG_4834.webp

IMG_4836.webp

ok I got confused here, the 8mm hole in the sender compares to a 7/16" head usually has a 1/4" shank, 6.35 mm, leaving 1.65mm space to properly fill. Back to the drop down stud maybe. This time the other way around. Or I suppose tap out the difference to 8mm - is that easy to do?

Edited by anthony1956

I suppose I could use a 1/4" UNC bolt and simply fill the extra space in the eye through the device with some sort of suitable filler.

I have asked the manufacturer. 

These examples (2) look simple enough (not from the manufacturer)

image.png.d752a1371990a7a0a5d8f3c89651967d.png

Edited by anthony1956

26 minutes ago, anthony1956 said:

I suppose I could use a 1/4" UNC bolt and simply fill the extra space in the eye through the device with some sort of suitable filler

If you did, I'd not talk to you again!  Filler has as much useful application in this as using an 11mm spanner on a 7/8 nut!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose so.  The main thing will be to get clean, firm contact between the face of the sensor and the block surface. To fill the gap I would use a tube, 8 mm OD and 1/4" hole. Needs to be slightly shorter than the sensor so you know you are clamping the sensor, not the tube