Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Distributor (Lucas 43 D) clamp loss ANS: Yes and now extensive d.i.y. KNOCK SENSOR discussion (kit ordered)

anthony1956

here's a couple of diy examples: 

I suppose the fixing bolt which is usually M8 or M10 I think, itself also acts as part of the vibration / noise detection system. There are I seem to recall various holes in my block, whether suitable I do not know at this time.

image.thumb.png.7b44e5ae6c0d07ff4b139f4540e378eb.png

Edited by anthony1956

I think I've finally lost the plot.  BD motors run very happily on dizzy ignition with a mechanical advance curve.  My BDG produces 293 bhp very simply.

So adding knock sensors, tuning with gas analysers is just adding unnecessary complication that is (in my view) extremely unlikely to produce a nice reliable smooth running result.

Good luck with it, but please try to get a simple solution running!

We needed the gas analyser to set her up for the government emissions test, which I am pleased to say we passed the other day, so that's now back in it's storage bag.

"simply" what's really causing the non simply trouble, we think, is the dizzy clamp no longer reliably clamps the dizzy so every time we get a nice smooth engine, by the next day it's gone again. A new clamp is on order and in the post. Can't say I see the clamp as a complex matter - although fitting it you have already covered; that's not simple if one has never done it before.

I bet your BDG has bits my BDR does not - and they won't be simple.

Of course once it's all fixed, the solution will be simple. It's just a basic carb based old car.

The knock sensor is because I am sick and tired of all the unhelpful fear mongering (fear mongering without anything helpful). To be honest. Whether it turns out I can use it remains to be seen. I fixed the cooling system, which was also supposed to be impossible. This is just another impossibility. 

When I want some fun I just go for a run in the R500.

Please do stay around!

Edited by anthony1956

I now simply carry my strobe timing light with me and don't do up the nose's lower two dzuz screws - too much bending.

When the new clamp arrives we will see what we will see. In the mean time I am running more ignition advance so it will start etc though it still looks the same as it did @revilla on the sprockets, it's just that having learned how the digital numbers work on the "gun" I can see more accurately. Had a very nice short run out today.

Edited by anthony1956

Yes.

yes that's what you said, I think, I put the micro measure inside the thread, so yes not the external diameter of the bolt but the internal, which I gather is the "minor" diameter. Is the external diameter called the major one?  

Edited by anthony1956

So given the sensors usually have M8 or M10 Bolts, or Bolt Holes.. 

• M8 is slightly smaller in diameter compared to a 3/8 UNC bolt, with the M8 being about 8 mm (~0.315 inches) versus 9.525 mm (~0.375 inches) for the 3/8 bolt.
    • M10 is slightly larger in diameter than the 3/8 UNC bolt, with 10 mm (~0.394 inches) compared to 9.525 mm.

Edited by anthony1956

Here's the sensor, that hole is 8mm. I have asked the manufacturers if we can drill out 1.525mm for a 3/8 bolt.

image.png.130125ddb86be454392db724ab28bc29.png

if not.. a stud 3/8" UNC one end and M8 the other? Or a dual-threaded or step-down stud 3/8 to M8 like my Carb mounting studs

Edited by anthony1956