Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lifting Points For Higher Lift

Rasta7

I need to raise my car high enough to get fully under it. I have access to a lift but it's not a drive onto model. It's the type that lifts "normal" cars by their jacking points / sills. Can I lift the car with this in any way? Are there any other lifting points other than the ones you would use for normal jacking up? I wondered if it was possible to lift the car by it's outer chassis rails running down the side between front and rear wheels? 

• Area Representative

Oakmere use a big two-post lift with four arms when they’ve done work on my car… so you should be OK I would have thought. They have one of the arms just behind the front wishbone and the other at the very back of the floor under the drivers seat… and it seems to work

I’ve got lowered floors and have no problems with my lift. The rear pads go under the front A frame bushes and, if I want to work on those I move the forward and put a short scaffold board under the floors. No problems…

Well, there is one problem.

When you have a lift, the default position for a Seven is on it and you are a fiddling’ and a fettling’ all the time! 

IMG_2461.jpeg

Edited by Nigel Blandin

crikey - your garage is bigger than my house #jealous

I'm not an expert on this, but if i was jacking on the lowered floor (Which seems wrong to me generally) i'd be trying to get the pad under the corner, you've then got a corner with aluminium in three directions so unlikely to bend which i'd assume is stronger than a general thin floor area which might flex. 

Yeah, good sized old barn and a lot of recycling and weekends!

I normally avoid the floor altogether, but to access the front A frame mounts you sort of have to go there. By spreading the load with a board across the whole car the point load is very small- remember, there is very little weight at the back of an empty Seven.

50% of not a lot is quite a bit less…

I put the front pads just behind the mountings. If the rear ones are just in front of the front A frame brackets, across both floors ( which are folded and rigidly attached) under a 250mm wide scaffold board, 35mm thick there is no creaking or deformation when lifting…I can lift it clear of the board from the rear tube easily to reposition it, so it isn’t that heavy.

Like I said, the rear pads are normally under the front brackets, so if and only if you need to work on them, as I did last week do I take this course of action.
When at Snetterton the week before I went over the kerb before the bombhole and walloped the floor under my ass with no ill effects to me or the floor- I am happy it can take it.