Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Changing the alternator belt on an R300K

Piers300

• Area Representative

My alternator drive belt (31213) has delaminated and has a whip like section coming away from the belt causing a speed related clack clack clack noise. Luckily, last night I realised all was not well, so the 7 was not used to attend the monthly club meeting. I need to have a good look to make sure that no damage has been done to the pipe work by the rather long piece of delaminated belt.

So this morning, I got under the car in my pit to find that two hoses pass through the centre of the belt when installed. This means that something has to be undone, so the pipes/hoses can pass through the centre of the belt, when the new one is fitted.

Is there an easy way to do this and what should be undone/disconnected.

Piers

• Area Representative

Cut the old belt to remove. To fit the new belt remove the braided hose from the top of the Apollo tank and disconnect the wire from the temperature sender on the side of the tank. Then remove the jubilee clip which secures the Apollo and you should be able to thread the new belt over the Apollo and into place. Be careful handling Apollo as they are thin metal and easy to crack. Refit braided hose and wire to sender and secure Apollo again with jubilee clip. 
To fit belt slacken long bolt on top of alternator and the bolt attaching stay. There is a tensioning screw which you will need to loosen (I think it is 8mm but not sure). It is tricky to get at. Once belt is in place over the pulleys tighten tensioning screw and retighten the bolts on the alternator. 

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

Plus it’s well worth having a spare belt installed at the same time but cable tied away from everything important. This way you’ll have a spare that you can easily fit if you have a belt issue away from home.

Stu.

• Like 1

• Area Representative

Thank you Paul and Stuart. - very helpful. The belt has been ordered from Redline, so I will have a crack at it next week. 

Piers

• Area Representative

As Ian says, you can thread the belt under the bottom Apollo tank without disturbing any fittings but Paul's method works fine too!  The comment from Stu is a good idea to have the spare belt ready to fit ie. already over the Apollo tank pipes and secured out of the way

• Like 1

• Leadership Team
4 hours ago, Nick Chan said:

As Ian says, you can thread the belt under the bottom Apollo tank without disturbing any fittings but Paul's method works fine too!  The comment from Stu is a good idea to have the spare belt ready to fit ie. already over the Apollo tank pipes and secured out of the way

I’m not sure that will work Nick, you still need to get the belt between the twin oil hoses and the top braided breather hose which means disconnecting somewhere …

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Maybe I’m missing something, but my recollection is it’s physically impossible to fit a new belt without disconnecting either the two main hoses, or the top braided hose?

Maybe unless you’re Paul Daniels!

Stu.

I can't explain how I did it (like explaining how to tie shoe laces) I'm afraid. All I know is the new belt is on and no oil was involved. I'd just done an oil change and noticed the belt could do with changing. That led me to have a go without disconnecting the hoses. I'm no Mr. MAG 1 C.

1 hour ago, John Vine said:

It's a bit like one of those Xmas cracker puzzles...

Green and blue are hoses and red is a continuous loop.  How do you move the loop from A to B without detaching either the green hose or both blue hoses?

Apolloschematic.jpg.7b47e2ece81d0103bba0080f04d68b5d.jpg

Are you allowed another dimension?

; - )

Jonathan

• Area Representative
On 13/09/2024 at 20:52, SLR No.77 said:

I’m not sure that will work Nick, you still need to get the belt between the twin oil hoses and the top braided breather hose which means disconnecting somewhere …

Stu.

Right, I’m changing the water pump on my supersport and had to remove the belt. If the Apollo tank loosened from the chassis, you can slide the belt under the tank, over the two large hoses (bit of a force required) and then up to the top of the tank.  The top breather pipe does need to be undone but that’s nothing compared to undoing the big pipes! 

Two new belts ordered and ready to go back on 😀