Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Feel like an idiot. How do I take off the air filter??

Outbound

Just picked up a 1998 Superlight R with the VHPD engine.

Currently there is an ITG foam filter on there, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing off.

I see approx 6 bolts, but 2 of them are completely obscured by the throttle return spring or the Throttle Position Sensor.

I've tried yanking, I've tried lifting vertically, but I am worried I am going to bust something.

I've searched every variation of "air filter" "remove" "change" "replace" but mostly just get the airbox versions or cone variations.

Usually I am not this dumb when it comes to engine stuff..... but I am stumped. Help? 🙂

6 hours ago, Outbound said:

Just picked up a 1998 Superlight R with the VHPD engine.

Currently there is an ITG foam filter on there, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing off.

I see approx 6 bolts, but 2 of them are completely obscured by the throttle return spring or the Throttle Position Sensor.

I've tried yanking, I've tried lifting vertically, but I am worried I am going to bust something.

I've searched every variation of "air filter" "remove" "change" "replace" but mostly just get the airbox versions or cone variations.

Please can you add some photos.

Jonathan

Sounds like the hint is indeed in that old thread. I need to file down a hex key and hope i can squeeze something in there….

Does anyone know if there is an improved filter that can go on these? Looks like the newest ones have some easy dzus fasteners that pull it together on a nice ledge.

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outbound said:

Does anyone know if there is an improved filter that can go on these? Looks like the newest ones have some easy dzus fasteners that pull it together on a nice ledge.

I'm not aware of anything for an SLR, but I guess you're looking for something like the Duratec roller-barrel backplate:

Backplate(PR6872).thumb.jpg.53a0cec7e229de1565f20d5ae0af16d8.jpg

Backplate(PR6872)RBs.thumb.jpg.7a92544ab3b2f164ada1a597188ec7b2.jpg

JV

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

The o/e SLR filter is an integrated part of the twin KV6 throttle body setup, it’s not impossible to replace it with a standard filter backplate but quite awkward, IIRC the throttle pivot intrudes into backplate space.

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the ITG filter you have though so really if it isn’t broke don’t fix it!

Stu.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! The filter does look to be in great shape, so I'll leave that be. Just doing my standard "new-to-me" check of replacing plugs, filters, etc. where needed.

Though now when I removed the exhaust to repaint the black protector things, found that my catalytic converter is nearly 100% clogged.... might be why this 190hp engine doesn't really feel like 190 horsies....

Have a similarly sized weld-on bit coming to cut the old one out and weld in this temporarily.... in the meantime time to search for some alternatives to the OEM system for this engine type...

• Leadership Team
8 hours ago, Outbound said:

Thanks for the suggestions! The filter does look to be in great shape, so I'll leave that be. Just doing my standard "new-to-me" check of replacing plugs, filters, etc. where needed.

Though now when I removed the exhaust to repaint the black protector things, found that my catalytic converter is nearly 100% clogged.... might be why this 190hp engine doesn't really feel like 190 horsies....

Have a similarly sized weld-on bit coming to cut the old one out and weld in this temporarily.... in the meantime time to search for some alternatives to the OEM system for this engine type...

Caterham did a 4-2-1 car bypass pipe but I’m unsure whether you’d be able to source one now, although if the cat internals are in good condition for road use there’s not a big difference over the 4-1 cat setup. The rest of the pipework is good but better silencers are available.