Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sheared suspension mount - advice needed!

CharlieC

On a motorway transit yesterday evening, I had the unpleasant experience of the mount attaching the bottom of the rear (left) suspension arm to the DeDion tube become disconnected, necessitating a quick stop (scraping the floor of the car along the road) and continuning the rest of the jounrney on the back of a low loader. The attached photo shows the situation today - the attaching bolt has been lost, along with the fitting and washers (possibly sheared flush with the DeDion tube). There was also some grease around the ant-roll bar arm and the inside of the wheel. I have also attached a photo of the 'good' (right) side for comparison.

So my question is: What to do?

Is this a simple case of reattaching the suspension arm with a new bolt (too good to be true, I suspect) or something that requires the removal and servicing (replacement) of the DeDion tube? or something else?

All help/advice welcome from the knowledgeable club membership!

Many thanks, in advance

image.thumb.jpeg.df10bad41f8b6dbd13f051b089664aeb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2ed5000001150a9bdedadbe3de9df658.jpeg

Not familiar with this set up (as I have a live axle car).  I assume that is a threaded boss in which case there is probably a bit of sheared bolt left in there.  That will need some careful work with drills and screw extractors to remove it.  Make sure you have the correct grade of bolt when you replace.

Re the grease did the driveshaft boot get damaged in the incident?

With a bit of poking around, there does appear to be part of the sheared bolt remaining inside the DeDion tube, so will need to be removed. Thank you - good spot.

Regarding the grease and the driveshaft boot - possibly. Is that where you think the grease will have come from?

Edited by CharlieC

I wonder if there is anyone with metallurgy knowledge on the forum. With a photo of the end of the bolt they might be able to tell if overtightened. 

When I read the post I thought it was going to be about dedion tube failure, which used to be a thing, but yours is the later design.

I’d also check all the suspension bushes for play to see if any unusual twisting of the dedion is happening.

I know of one owner who’s car entered the scenery when a dedion tube failed (its in the archives). Scary stuff!!

I'm not a metallurgist but once a Rolls Royce stress engineer (albeit over 35 years ago) and had some experience of tests to failure of components during development (some planned, some not so planned! but always before production🙂). The start of this article has excellent photos of failed bolts and some failure modes.

https://smrp.org/News/Solutions-Archive/Member-Written-Articles/Bolt-Failures-Why-Learn-to-Recognize-Mechanical-Failure-Modes

If you are able to see details of remaining bolt face it might give away its secrets. They haven't shown another common failure which occurs due to a poor quality bolt's small crack or inclusion at the thread root and a series of shell like lines grow around it as a crack spreads, often worsened as rust sets in but yours looks too new for rust effects.

For what it's worth, my guess is the bolt was probably fine but insufficiently torqued allowing some movement that tends to worsen and a sudden impact sheared it off. Could also have been overtightened and sudden added shear impact was just too much. 

• Like 1

• Area Representative

When building my car & the subsequent back end rebuild post diff repair I found that the shocker rear face & the DD mount do not align parallel to allow easy insertion of the bolt. With a bit of fiddling the faces can be aligned but it is tight.

Maybe the two faces were not lined up sufficiently to allow easy insertion & turning of the bolt. If so then the threads could have been easily & sufficiently crossed in the mounting. Torque loading then possibly assisted in putting the bolt in failure mode.

I quote the engineering mantra: 'do it up till it shears then back half a turn'......😖

Edited by Geoff Brown
  • Like 1

• Leadership Team
18 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

I'd guess that you've heard the bomb-aimer's joke a few times...

Jonathan

Is it like the one on the train? "See where I get off, your station is the one before."

Edited by Andrew 21 Edney

1 minute ago, Andrew 21 Edney said:
19 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

I'd guess that you've heard the bomb-aimer's joke a few times...

Jonathan

Is it like the one on the train? "See where I get off, your station is the one before."

Precisely, but with added shouting.

Jonathan