Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BDR How do I know what my max rpm is? Ans: Dyno says 7,400

anthony1956

Tacho says 7,000

ans: because the whole bottom end has been upgraded, but no extra horse power so more rpm is ineffective even if available.

edit 6/9/24 I found my 2002 dyno report

It says max rpm 7400 

Dyno Results.webp

Dyno 2002.webp

Edited by anthonym

ah yes interesting; I have established we have the BD3 cam, but the conrods are "ARP" if (big if) my memory serves, they require mega modification to fit in the (dry) sump pan. I think Geoff told me he had x type pistons but it was so long ago..

48 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

ARP are more likely to be the bolts used 

Yes that's what I meant (whatever I said) . They required a prodigious amount of metal bashing to make the new Titan sump pan fit.

Glad to hear ARP is the right guess. 

2 hours ago, Nigel Blandin said:

Without opening it up, I’d be wary..

I have many pics from underneath does that help at all? I could stick my snake cam down the top, but never seem to see much. I so wish I was paying more attention when Geoff told me what sort of pistons it has, but to be fair to me it was two decades ago.

He said he specified the engine himself, but aside from the pistons never mentioned what. Judging by the "lift" we have confirmed the cams are the standard BD3. I have loads of the original docs for the car, which he built from CKD (Completely Knocked Down) saying it all fitted in the boot. Nothing at all about the engine.

He said wanting to spec it himself was why he bought direct from Cosworth. Like your dad Nigel if I correctly recall what you were saying, which was nice to hear because all I have ever been told is it was impossible to buy direct from Cosworth. 

Edited by anthonym

3 hours ago, Nigel Blandin said:

Or, scream it and if it goes bang that’s the limit! 

I've always let it go to 7,000, granted I have no idea how accurate is the tacho.. I am wondering if I need something digital to match with the gas analyser if I end up doing that up our test road for real. I think I need an extra bit for that use case, as the one I have is for static use only. In any case it's done about 40k miles as it is as I don't really want to change it from what Geoff built, but to make the best of it. If in the end he was a victim of his time and the tech available then maybe so be it, but for now I want to see what we can do, or more to the point what I can do. 

It's not like I need a faster car, I have one of those in the K.  And my BDR has a sixspeed CC box married to a 4:0 open diff. It accelerates, 7,000 comes round real quick. 17mpg before I started work, we'll see what that turns out to be in due course. 

I am quite fascinated by this old tech in Dellortos and Cosworth. So much precision with no ECU at all .. what would it be? Mechanical? 

And of course there is the noise... 🙂

sshh but I have stuck a cut-out bonnet on my R500 😉

Edited by anthonym

Maybe Geoff said "Forged Pistons"

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/02/performance-pistons-101/

Geoff Mansell by the way is no longer with us, he sold me the car  (in about 2002) saying at 70 he could no longer go under it any more. He was an aircraft engineer who worked for Mirror Group Newspapers. I think he made 90.  r.i.p. Geoff.

Edited by anthonym

Just in the process of ordering the gas analyser probe for use when on-the-road, designed for open road or rolling road purposes. It's kind of chilling to think of the millions of carb engines set up using idle and up to 3k rpm never testing what the 3k plus looks like. Though my engine seems fine so far.

Edited by anthonym

How are you proposing to do on road checks....

Why not just use the rolling road session you mentioned you had access to as you don't have the jets and tubes to change the try or the experience to set either fuelling or timing.

Why risk a BD.... have it don't correctly and just enjoy the driving.*driving*

Edited by 7 wonders of the world

3 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Why not just use the rooling road session you mentioned you had access to as you don't have the jets and tubes to change the try or the experience to set either fuelling or timing.

I'm a thousand miles away so that's not a trivial matter. Like I say, all I am doing is servicing what I have.

Why do you think I might be risking my engine? If that is true I need to understand why, pronto. Please?

3 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

How are you proposing to do on road checks....

Read the emissions at various rpms - hence the need for a digital tacho. Very happy to hear how it should be done.. without a RR.

RR Guru I chatted with observed that carb cars are usually too rich.

Edited by anthonym

7 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

you don't have the jets and tubes

Well, actually.... that's not a true assumption. However, I have them for altitude compensation.

My wish is to work with what I have and see what I can make of it. I don't need it faster, I have another car for that. I simply want it to be what it can be, as it is, as fettled by me who enjoys doing these things. Having someone else do it, such as a RR would not be any pleasure.

As I say, maybe one day to "mark my work" maybe, but until then I wish to see what I can do with this old technology that fascinates me because it is so clever and engages in such amazing precision.

Maybe one day I will rebuild/refresh the engine, but that is for another time when/if I have a workshop. It won't be the first engine I took to bits and rebuilt. I know what getting the oil pump 180 degrees wrong can do.

I enjoy the new experience of it all, and there are not so many of those left these days, and making stupid mistakes is humbling and probably good for the soul - even if the ego does not like it! 🙂

Anthony

Edited by anthonym