Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BDR Change cam belt - remove idler? Ans: yes and the crank pulley, but not the separate crank sprocket.

anthony1956

Water pump pulley is off, do I have to remove the idler ? edit ans: yes but loosening it is ok as it cannot come off.

I can't see any way to get the belt off without doing that.. not sure even with that - I am not cutting it so it is practice for getting a new one on

Edited by anthonym

and here's my answer from my 2012 work, the crank pulley comes off without affecting anything else:

20120725_150432.webp

so that's my memory still working, I recalled to get the engine out requires removal of the crank pulley without any other hassle. So there is access to the belt.

Edited by anthonym

what are the idler "bearings"? and what am I checking about them? 

Is this 16 x 2 in the diagram? Ball races? Ugh.. 40 year old ball races..

So when you say "check" you mean for little very old ball bearings going "crunch crunch"? I hazard a spot of grease too? edit: granted only done about 40,000 miles so may be completely ok.

Haynes Manual p59

IMG_3309.jpeg

Edited by anthonym

38 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

I'd include an h,  but it may be graunchier without.  : - )

me tooo

Come to think of it a general service approach, clean, grease (or degrease) once every 40 years is probably a good idea.

Edited by anthonym
  • Like 1

oh yes; no grauncing when I spin the idler... 

en fait I think I am up to the point where everything should be easier because we are now re fitting as opposed to dismantling.

just a tad nervous about getting it on the right crank tooth the first time - which I did a few days ago when correcting the old belt that was two teeth out on the crank; for reasons unknown; we now think if any jumping went on it was more likely to have been on the Jackshaft sprocket.

The old belt (no teeth missing) is tooth for tooth the same length as the new - both being the exact same belt from Gates, in fact for posterity BDR Cam belt is:

Gates Powergrip 5291 - 146 x 25.4mm (do not crimp :-

The old and new do feel different, the new feels more flexible bent between thumb and finger. On reflection the old belt has lost some of it's suppleness; I suppose in the end like all rubber materials it gets harder and harder and eventually becomes brittle and breaks - like all the other rubber components I have just replaced.

Edited by anthonym