Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry Sump Plug, How much oil will I lose?

PlastererPete

Afternoon all,

I’ve noticed a minor oil leak since my CSR’s service and would like to change the O-ring of the plug where it seems to be emanating from. I’m not blaming the service as I know the dry sump caps/plugs are soft and all round not the best design. 
The leak is very minor. A couple of drips a week while not in use, but still I’d like to sort it. 
So the right hand (smaller cap) is where it’s coming from and before I attempt to swap out the o-ring for a new nitrile one, I’d like to know how much oil I’m likely to lose. Also what kind of torque figure should these be tightened to?

IMG_3928.thumb.jpeg.57ca04669050ab36b655a4e4eb568562.jpeg

Finger filter and cap - 51nm

”Air outlet” to the right of the finger filter is 25nm

Just need to know how much oil that part of the sump may hold before I take it off. Also are nitrile o-rings the preferred material or is something else more suitable? 

Edited by PlastererPete

You could just collect what comes out and measure that.  Either by volume or weight.

Get someone to help you and stick your finger over the hole as the other person undoes the bolt, you may lose very little.

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

You could just collect what comes out and measure that.  Either by volume or weight.

Get someone to help you and stick your finger over the hole as the other person undoes the bolt, you may lose very little.

I think thats the route I’ll have to go. I just wanted to be prepared rather than have loads of oil drop out. Went out for a drive today so will check on the drip status tomorrow.