Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sigma sump leak

Ian DL

Hi all.

I have a 2021 270s which I bought just under a year ago. It had a history of slight oil leaks (possibly due to an overfilling incident) which were apparently addressed by Caterham under warranty. These included a cam cover and head gasket, and a replacement sump which was identified as porous by Caterham (apparently a know issue with the casting).

A couple of months ago I started to notice a couple of drips of oil under the car after each run, which seemed to be the common issue with the cam cover. This was fixed with a new gasket, but the drips are still there. After a good look today it seems the oil is coming from the sump, which is oily all over rather than just at a join, indicating that the replacement sump could also be porous. Just wondering if anyone else has had this. I'm imagining the cost of replacing the sump may mean it's just a little niggle one can live with, but irritating none the less!

Ian

While we're waiting for the experts...

I've had a quick look in the archives but the only reference that I can find to porosity of the sump is yours from June this year. 

But there are several other suggested possible locations...

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. Yes, I'm repeating myself from that thread, but as I'm now pretty sure the cam cover is sorted, and the only oil leak is generally from the sump I thought I'd start a new thread. Like you I couldn't find anything in the archives. 

No experience of these sumps but would a porous sump be OK for a while (how long before it started showing signs?) before starting to leak (weep?).  Are you sure it is not coming from somewhere on the front of the engine and being spread over the sump by the airflow?

2 hours ago, SM25T said:

Clean it thoroughly, run the engine until warm ... any leak ? Go for a short drive and look again.

and a dusting of talcum powder after the clean, before running up to temperature, should help identify where any leak is emanating from too… (as well as making it smell nice!)

• Like 2

• Area Representative

If CC replaced the sump pan under warranty assume that they fitted faulty goods which should recourse for a claim against them for replacement. 

But don't hold your breath !

• Like 1

You could be right. I wondered if the heat and pressure when driving were causing it to weep. I gave the sump a good clean off today then took it for a run. On return the whole sump felt generally oily to the touch but not enough to drip. I'll continue to monitor. Thanks to all for your suggestions 😊!

Ian

7 minutes ago, johnpbransfield said:

Check where the dip stick enters the sump, there is a green “O” ring in the housing that might have perished / split.

That's a good thought. Thanks! I'll take a look.