Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Radio Frequency Interference

AlastairA

On 04/09/2024 at 09:03, AlastairA said:

Very simple really - if you're on a 200 mile plus blat, or on roads that you don't know, the likelihood is that you'll be using a satnav, or a phone with a routing app. It's very unlikely that you'll find a device with a battery capacity to last long enough without a charge.

Well, that's certainly my experience, especially on solo tours in France (typically 250+ miles in a day, spread over 7-8 hours).  My Garmin sits on permanent charge, as does my phone.  Mrs V, who is a professional worrier when I'm solo in the 7 (especially abroad), likes to use Google Maps to track my progress (with the bonus of a % charge indicator).  Now, if my phone isn't charging for any reason (loose connection, say, or I forget), I can expect a flurry of WhatsApps!

JV

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2024 at 08:38, Jonathan Kay said:
On 31/08/2024 at 11:20, Jonathan Kay said:

4 At some point it will be smart to include a USB-C charging socket.

Outside the world of Sevens
USB-C has big advantages over USB-A. Faster data transfer, faster charging, one connector rather than three different connectors and cables. Same cable can be used to charge most 'phones. Better mechanical connector and it's reversible so you don't have to fail half of the time that you try to plug it in, and there's less impact on it. For new devices the migration's just about done but of course there's a lot of old stuff around.

Inside Sevens
Most devices will be USB-C RSN. Charging can be much faster. It's possible that devices will be charged at 45 to 100W that couldn't be charged at 12W. You can buy USB-C charging adaptors that fit cigar lighter sockets and as mountable units, just as with USB-A. It's probably worth getting adaptors that have at least one 45W socket if you'd like faster charging or laptop charging. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery

Jonathan

PS: And what will happen to those mains faceplates? They'll be replaced, or the USB-A sockets will be unused or have a USB-C charger plugged in next to them. And we'll look at them and ponder the strange world of standards.

PPS:  And now back to work on clinical data standards, which aren't going as well as the migration to USB-C.... 

"UK ponders USB-C as common charging standard"

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Jonathan