Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

More indicator/flasher unit woes

PJS

I know its a much written about topic but I wonder if anyone can help please.

The indicators on my 2005 CSR started playing up by sometimes not working but then coming alive again, only to subsequently die.

"Currently" (!)  neither indicators or hazards or the two indicator direction lights in the dash are working at all, and no amount of switching the hazards off and on (an often mentioned fix) is bringing them back to life.

The car has JAL LED rear lights/indictor units and standard front indicators so I have purchased a replacement flasher unit relay from Classic Car LEDs (along with LED front bulbs as yet unfitted) to see if that was the problem, but I can't fathom which of the relays is the flasher unit. I have tried the "touch test" that I saw on the JAL (?) you tube video but none of the relays seem to vibrate or heat up.  Unhelpfully the Information of the original Caterham "manual" does not show the layout  the car has!

The car has two indicator direction lights within the dashboard, also now not working.

There are 4 relays on the side of the fuse board all of which have 5 projecting terminal whereas the CCL unit supplied only has three.

I am not sure if its at all relevant but I initially noticed that one of the standard front indicator bulbs seems to have a splodge of solder on the rear terminal as if to extend the connection into the bulb holder.

This may not be a solution but its worth a shot. I had issues with my CSR indicators (swoopy dash with column stalks) and after checking fuses switches and taking the column cowling apart I tracked it down to a blown side repeater bulb in the wing. I never would’ve thought a single bulb would wipe out the indicators but it did. Might be worth a check. 

Edited by PlastererPete

Please send me a Private Message with your email address and I'll send the factory wiring diagrams and layouts of fuses and relays. (But still beware of variations.)

Did the indicators ever work after the LED lamp units were fitted?

Do you have a multimeter?

Jonathan

Hello Plasterer Pete,

Thanks for your reply, but (for some reason) mine doesn't have the side repeaters on the cycle wings, it is a swoopy dash/column stalk model tho'.

Jonathan,

Thank you, that would be much appreciated - however "spot the novice" but I have never sent a private message before - can I ask you to let me have an idiots guide please!

Yes the car had the JAL rear LEDs when I got it and was working fine for while then started to play up, working intermittently and now not at all.

I do have a small multi meter somewhere in the depths of the garage....

5 hours ago, PJS said:

Hello Plasterer Pete,

Thanks for your reply, but (for some reason) mine doesn't have the side repeaters on the cycle wings, it is a swoopy dash/column stalk model tho'.

Again, just something to check, have you got any sort of dangling wires either in the arches or tied up inside the body by the headlights that may have corroded/shorted?

1 hour ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Before I start making suggestions: is there anything special that we need to know about switches on the CSR?

Thanks

Jonathan

AFAIK the only difference is the stalk module on the column and the wiring related to that.

Hello Plasterer Pete, That's a good thought I  haven't noticed any remnants of redundant wiring for missing side repeaters but will have a good look at the weekend and see. Thank you.

Thanks Jonathan for the wiring diagram I need to limber up tomorrow morning and get under the dash to see if the car is as the diagram.

Thanks BigCol, as nothing is moving I guess it suggests a lack of power to the unit or a totally defunct flasher unit.

• Like 1

You might able to get a good look behind the dash with a smart 'phone using the camera and screen.

Have you now identified the relays? And the fuses?

And you might have to expose the terminals in the indicator switch of the stalk. What colour wires are in there?

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Time has just allowed me to take a further look at this and as noted above it seems to have been down to very dirty/corroded terminals on the hazard light switch by the handbrake. I presume that when these deteriorate like this it stops the current reaching the relay and beyond.

Certainly removing it giving it a good clean up and putting it back has done the trick and the indicators are all now working and at the correct speed.

Thanks to you all for your help and guidance, much appreciated.

I was wondering if I should replace the switch over the winter as I think Sevens and Classics have them in their catalogue.

In the meantime the weather looks good enough tomorrow for a drive in the country!

45 minutes ago, PJS said:

I was wondering if I should replace the switch over the winter... 

Well done, and thanks for adding the answer.

The hazard light switch has a hard life, and we know why. The factory rocker switch often becomes erratic and then fails. But on your CSR is it a rocker switch or something else?

Jonathan

2 hours ago, PJS said:

I was wondering if I should replace the switch over the winter as I think Sevens and Classics have them in their catalogue.

Splendid though I am sure they are, as per another recent thread, my suggestion would be to patronise Chris Mintoft at Redline.