Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cleaning my exhaust - what do you guys use ?

Ainsley

7 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

Not sure if this is much help. It was a quick picture to send to the guy that welded my exhaust up. 

IMG_3858.thumb.jpeg.58d44cd679f3caa8b834d28bd06f92b8.jpeg

It certainly does help, looks cool and also not that expensive by Caterham prices on their parts site.

You've opened up a whole load of questions there with that picture too, (I don't want to hijack the thread title too much...)

- Are the wind deflectors as efficient as the doors in the cabin?
- Presumably they pop on and off easily just like the doors?
- Are they the motamek mirrors or the spa carbon (or other)?!

I'm wondering about fixing the spa mirrors to the windscreen using the dpr mount and then getting deflectors as well you see (instead of using the classic eccles  approach)

Edited by Brownmonster
A few quick questions...

5 hours ago, Brownmonster said:

You can probably get away with the 10 cm roll (I think the circumference of the rod is less) but I bought the 20cm to do other things and it's only a few pounds more. 

The steering arms are about 12.7mm diameter. I applied heat shrink myself using 13mm heat shrink tube.

1 hour ago, Brownmonster said:

It certainly does help, looks cool and also not that expensive by Caterham prices on their parts site.

You've opened up a whole load of questions there with that picture too, (I don't want to hijack the thread title too much...)

- Are the wind deflectors as efficient as the doors in the cabin?
- Presumably they pop on and off easily just like the doors?
- Are they the motamek mirrors or the spa carbon (or other)?!

I'm wondering about fixing the spa mirrors to the windscreen using the dpr mount and then getting deflectors as well you see (instead of using the classic eccles  approach)

The wind deflectors do a little but not as much as you may want. I prefer to run with them on as when poodling about they’re ok. Anything over 50-60mph they are useless. I prefer them over any doors (half or full) as its a more enjoyable experience for the drives I do. Long distance i have full doors on though. They do just hook into the door hinges so easily swapped in a few minutes. I always tend to wear sunglasses or safety type glasses when driving anyway, to alleviate getting my eyelids blown about too much.   

They are SPA Carbon mirrors. Came with the car when my late father bought it second hand back in 2009. I’ve managed to get them to stay put with the aid of a couple of extra o-rings in the base. Although the DPR mounts are preferable as a more permanent solution. 

Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info. I won’t hijack the thread anymore 🙂 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

Going back to the steering arms - which do you reckon would be the best to use: heat shrink or the carbon wrap.

I assume with both I still need to redo the tracking ?

Tipex the rear of the lock nut onto the threads, you've then got a marker to put the lock nut back to. It might not be exact but it will be close. If you find the track rod is 180 degrees out, remove it, twist 180 degrees and start again (you caught the wrong thread when starting to wind it on).

2 hours ago, OldAndrewE said:

??? There is only one thread

Yes sorry, i wasn't thinking when I wrote that bit. I've used the same technique on quite a few things over the years to reset them.