Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cleaning my exhaust - what do you guys use ?

Ainsley

After 3000 miles in a month and a half my nice shiny silencer/de-cat and the externally exposed headers do not look as shiny as they did.

There are a few tar spots and general grim that wont wash off.

They need a bit more elbow grease and a bit of a polish - what do you guys recommend I use to keep them looking nice.

I tried a to remove the tar spots with isopropyl alcohol, but that took an age and all my fingers are now the same length.  

• Haha 1

• Area Representative

The White Diamond metal polish is as recommended by a chap who polished my exhaust when I asked how to maintain the finish and he suggested applying the polish and then leaving it on until it dries and not to remove it too quickly.  This allows the chemical in the polish to activate and give a better longer lasting result.

I use one of those green kitchen scouring pads with Autosol if its been a while, then finishing off with more Autosol and cloth.  I have tried with a polishing mop in a drill but it makes a mess on the car - that is bet done with the primaries off and held in the vice.    

I may get to that point sometime.  But at the moment its all box fresh and I get upset when it doesn't look like that.

So although I spend ages cleaning it, I have done 3000 miles since the end of July this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

Yeah, that Red/Black contrast looks great.  Im sort of tempted at some point to get mine cerakoted, but as mine is Green/Yellow Im not sure what colour to go for.

The exhaust is actually Cerakoted… the paint is to cover the bits of road rash on the leading, lower edges.

4 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

Ah, thanks.  I will order some of that and stick it on before I get any road rash on my shiny parts.

You can probably get away with the 10 cm roll (I think the circumference of the rod is less) but I bought the 20cm to do other things and it's only a few pounds more. 

On a similar note, has anyone got the exhaust guard in black (with some photos) I wear shorts a lot, and was thinking it might be worth getting to avoid burnt knees. So as well as being a bit safer, I was wondering if it does actually look any good, as well as covering the bronzed exhaust (my car is also mainly red and black).

I only burned my leg once, so I don't feel the need for a guard. 

On my 87 car the silencer was tiny, so the guard was tiny.  On my 24 car the silencer is massive.

Looks are personal, but personally I don't like the look of the guard, or the cat, or the front plate.  But that's just personal 🙂

Yup, everyone will have their opinion on this. I'm wondering if the black guard will look better than a bronzed silencer, or if it makes it look too complicated and a bit pap!

As much as the cat annoys me, for me without it, the exhaust looks too scrawny, I quite like the default look as it comes.