Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Check your harnesses!!

Nick W

Had a bit of a shock this w/e.

While filling up I noticed that my tillet seat has been taking too much of a close interest in my shoulder straps. The outside of the straps have been rubbing on the (rather sharp) edges of the tillet cut-outs and have begun to slightly fray. Not too pleasing *eek* *eek*.

Luckily the damage is v.minimal. Bodged a gaffer tape interim remedy, but will probably need to smooth off the seat edges.

Just thought I'd highlight it in case it's happening to anyone else.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

Contact Tillet Seats as they now sell rubber mouldings to protect the shoulder straps. I have fitted mine and they finish the seat off very nicely. They are still to produce a moulding for the crutch strap but due to tooling costs this might not be for a little while as the current demand does not justify the outlay.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Looking for New Ears

I had this problem a year or so back, Tillet sent some rubber trim (not the current fix) which I attached (badly) it was a swine and hasn't really stopped the problem. I'll contact Tillet again and buy the new stuff. Caterham said sorry and sent new harnesses (there not all bad are they?) as the car was in warranty.

I've recently fitted shoulder pads (Luke ones for £11, rather than Caterham for £20+vat+P&P) very comfy, I'm looking forward to summer blatting without having to wear a jacket to protect my neck from chafing.

Whilst on the Tillet seat front may I also take the opportunity to plug the Oxted seat pads, prevents damage to seats from stones and are v snug. £100 direct from OTC.

Plug mode off

BC

Just had two tillets fitted by Caterham, one had strap fillets the other didnt. They seemed a little mystified about this and have ordered some.

However, Tillet should really look at their product, if this chafes harnesses it could raise a safety issue. They should offer a free retro-fit before anyone fails an MOT or worse, suffers a belt failure.

DAVID L

It's not easy being GREEN !

Hi Luke (named after the harnesses I guess, Hee Hee!)

Quite right. Rapacious. I like that. However, I feel sure that if you repeated my comments to messrs TILLET, regarding the possibility of product liability (and say it bold like it is written) then you may get a pair for free.

If not, post a tech forum headed "TILLETS", SAFETY CONCERN" and see how many current users feel that at over two hundred quid a seat, the manufacturers could provide a cheap, nay FREE, remedy.

DAVID L

On a related note, I was told by a scrutineer that someone had a Tillet seat snap in an accident. Basically the force of the racer's head being thrown back into the headrest part of the seat bent the seat back far enough to snap. The Graduates technical regs this year insist that anyone with a Tillet has some support immediately behind the headrest to stop it bending too far. Unless anyone's got the seat well forward, it's probably OK, but just something worth noting.

Martin- Caterham now provide the support when you buy Tillets- well they did with mine anyway.

Luke- surrounds have arrived. Your description does them too much credit. Anyway they look like they'll do the job.

Nick

also the tillet seats where I think redesigned in this area a while back and it there is some extra reinforcement...

when I got mine in december I didn't get the extra restraint *confused* is it the same as the one you get witht he kit....

rob *smile*

Hey

I am starting to get a little concerned having spent in excess of £800 with Caterham to have two new Tillets fitted, that they may, according to Rob, be "redesigned"

To recap: one of mine had inserts for the straps the other didnt. Caterham said they had come from their store. Is it possible that they were ' old stock ' ?

How do I tell if they are current models??

DAVID L

David - not quite, but almost every non-petrolhead who's seen my car has assumed I have personalised harnesses 😬

As it happens I have Tillets, and pondered this issue before I got them. When I did get them, I noticed that the edges of the slot had a smooth and generous radius, so I kind of left the issue alone. Haven't checked whether there's still harness trauma occurring recently though.

Luke- I think it's worth checking again. Although the leading edges of the seat slots are smooth, the back of the seat was sharper (although not exactly razor). I think it slightly depends on how the shoulder straps sit on you relative to the seats- probably a function of how tall you are etc etc.