Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlight Summary Thread.

Reindeer

As a few have mentioned, there are numerous scattered LED headlight threads now and no easy all in one for those considering buying/changing/upgrading.

I've also done loads of research in the last few weeks and hopefully the below will end up being a quicker and easier up to date guide with most of the information in one place.

I've based my comments either on my own experience or forum comments from owners of the products in other threads.

General points -

Fitting seems straightforward plug and play on all options, with just some minor changes revolving around DRL wiring. Therefore I won't comment too much on this aspect per model. 

Delivery times on all (even the cheaper ones from Chinese sellers) are days...not weeks....it seems most of the ebay/Chinese registered sellers now use UK warehouses.

Warranty time all seem to range from 2 years to 5 years.

I won't go into sizes too much as nearly all are available in the two common choices....5.75" and 7"....personal preference. Not surprisingly the 7"s always seem to be slightly more expensive.

I'll start with the cheaper options:

Screenshot_20240814_044744_eBay.thumb.jpg.2b51248d223d904bb90007d1848b9677.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_045034_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4c4fe61aa4b2a32d6e6c4787d078b414.jpg

Delivered in a few days....easy to fit....very bright on the road....MoT fail due to beam pattern.

Seller gave full refund and paid return postage. (I bought two sets to check it wasn't a faulty pair).

An eBay search will reveal literally hundreds of cheap options and some owners have passed MOTs with these fitted....bit of a gamble I suppose but some of them are so cheap it could be worth it...

Similar sub £50 options below....no guarantees on authenticity of markings or legal beam patterns.....Ebay is your friend at this price point!

Screenshot_20240814_053808_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_054014_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer

Cafe Racer:

Various models available. Discount codes available on their own website and they also often send offers on eBay if you watch some of their listings.

Definitely some opinion that they are simply the cheaper eBay ones with stickers on etc but most seem pleased. 

No evidence of MOT fails found.

https://youtu.be/8pH_TwGbJtc?feature=shared

Screenshot_20240814_045209_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_045459_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer
More pics

We then sort of jump into the £300 to £400 region.....

JAL have these as an option......approx £325 all in and come with bowls in silver or black.

JAL have now been in contact and confirmed these are not the 'cheap' ones in disguise.

Screenshot_20240814_050537_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer
JAL messaged.

Wipac offer these.....seem to range from £450 to £550...were definitely available for less several years ago.

Generally believed to be properly tested etc. Can't find many Caterham owner reviews.

The three small black screw holes may not suit our cars aesthetically...they were more aimed towards the Jeep/Land Rover owners.

Screenshot_20240814_050655_eBay.jpg

Edited by Reindeer

The higher price options:

JAL Caterham LED upgrade. Circa £750 for a pair.....

Same internals as the Caterham factory LED ones below.

Positive reviews and I believe most in keeping with original lights.

No cheap similar ones on ebay.....

(My current personal front running option to go for all things considered! Just rather expensive so haven't gone for them just yet)

Screenshot_20240814_051456_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_052627_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer

JW Speaker

Internationally very well regarded....and priced accordingly.....seem to be between £600 and £800.

I can't find any Caterham owners who have fitted them so no information as to fitting in the bowls etc.

Believed to be technically superior to most others.

Different designs available

Screenshot_20240814_051756_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_053459_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer

The most expensive choice I can find.....Genuine Caterham LED Headlights.

£1200 to £1400 for a pair, depending on size....come with bowls.

Not in stock in some options.

Some mention that one half of them is not always lit on full/High beam and some owners have found the cheaper options brighter. But mixed views.

Personal view is they look the best, still a bit classic and without the robot appearance of some of the modern options.

Screenshot_20240814_052157_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Reindeer

That's all I can muster for now during a night shift and on my phone.

If any mods wish to tidy, please do.

I'm envisaging an Argos Catalogue type thread of LED lights when it's all finished and updated with others inputs!

(Thank you to those I've borrowed pics from)

Edited by Reindeer

If anyone has any pics or details about the models above that they'd like me to add, please let me know direct and I'll edit the posts accordingly.

Alternatively if I haven't listed them above, please add your own reply/pic/summary to this thread.

Hope this all helps someone.

Edited by Reindeer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for listing them.  

Personally I reckon the fact JAL are UK based and run by a bloke with a Caterham makes them the best choice once I considered all the factors.  Not just price, but safety, MOT, back up and just a phone number I could call if I had an issue.

image.png.4b6383bf28456a172d4575f4bfd73b79.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gents.

For anyone in the same position as me and currently considering an LED headlight change/upgrade/swap..... please don't buy anything just yet!

I'm hoping to organise a group buy of some of the better options.....just making some enquiries now and will update very shortly! Hopefully save all of us some money!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Just now, PlastererPete said:

I’m after the ones that CC and JAL sell with the small sidelight bar through the middle. Expensive but they are the only ones I like. Damn my champagne tase and lemonade money 🤣

Me too! They're the ones I'm hoping to get a group buy on!

Looking positive so far....will update next day or two! Almost there.

9 minutes ago, Reindeer said:

Me too! They're the ones I'm hoping to get a group buy on!

Looking positive so far....will update next day or two! Almost there.

Wonderful. I would love a set of those (well just the innards needed). As you said above. Classic styling with a modern twist to suit pretty much any Seven. 

Edited by PlastererPete