Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Better Inertia Seatbelts for Caterham 7

dougleus

I had an issue with my recently purchased RoadSport (2000) seatbelt.

The 3-point inertia seatbelt on the passenger side locked and would not come out easily, a relatively known failure. Eventually I managed to get it loose and find out what it was, to discover that Caterham wanted over £200 for a pair of seatbelts (I only needed one).

Looking around, I found https://www.bhiuk.com/ to be fantastically helpful.

They found me a more modern design, less prone to jamming/failure, for around £70 which fits VERY SNUGGLY into the seatbelt mount on my car.

If and when the other side fails, I know where to go.

Fully recommend them for knowledge and customer service. Give them a call.

Edited by dougleus
Mistake on price

• Area Representative

The inertia reel belts in my 21 failed in the same manner.  I assume excessive vibration is the cause as that set lasted only about 10,000 miles and a decade.

I'm not surprised that a design which was probably selected several decades ago has now been superceded. 

In the Seven I use a six point harness. 

yes 4 point harness is de rigeur for our Sevens - the very idea of using three point feels very strange. Try putting your brakes on emergency stop style and see how that feels.. 

me? I use six point too 😉

Edited by anthonym

• Area Representative

Changed to four points on my first Seven. In fact I knew I had made an error almost immediately after the first drive. That was 30 years ago. Never again.

Simple to retro fit harnesses as it is to remove the inertia reel - weight saving exercise !

Some years ago there was a safety campaign by the club advising on how to wear a harness correctly. I am sure it was in LF ?

• Like 1

Here is Aus they have introduced seat belt camera with automated/AI fines and demerit points for passenger and driver-  awaiting the first challenge from someone caught in a harness so have gone for harness with seat belt over the top -  yes a belt and braces approach but avoided $600 and 6 points everytime me and SWMBO get caught on camera 

• Sad 1

• Area Representative
On 20/08/2024 at 08:08, SM25T said:

Most people .... or a few untrained ones ? I am always horrified when I see the buckle up near the breast bone 🫣

Me too. 

On 19/08/2024 at 22:27, Gridgway said:

But most people have their harnesses done up quite loosely.  I understand that to be more dangerous than inertia reel belts.

Padded jackets, short journeys, petrol stops etc. are all weaknesses with a harness. They need to be first slackened and then tightened hard to work properly. Easily the best if you follow the rules but possibly the worst if you don't.