Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Stop light dash telltale...

150SV

Id like to have a small telltale light on the dash that illuminates when my brake lights are on.

I seem to remember it being a thing in the 80s for Motorcycles, and you could buy a kit with some optic fibre in it.

Just trying to work out the easiest way to do this.

In fact, all I want realistically, is to know the bloody stop light switch is still working.

So a glance at a telltale reassures me there is a high possibility I have brake lights showing.

6 minutes ago, 150SV said:

In fact, all I want realistically, is to know the . stop light switch is still working.

That's a lot easier. Connect a second lead to the switched side of the switch. Connect the other end of that to one side of a new telltale on the dash. Connect an earth to the other. (The right way round if it's an LED.)

Jonathan

PS: Have you had problems with the switch... there's a recommended replacement. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

Because you mentioned fibre optics from the rear, as JK says all you need to do is wire up another light from the switch

Understood.

Altho I really only mentioned them to give and idea of what I wanted to achieve.

JK has pretty much nailed it.

I had issues in the past with my stop light switch (before I swapped the standard switch for one from Car Builder Solutions)

My way of checking was to reach behind me whilst at rest and “cup” my high-level brake light with my hand as my foot depressed the brake pedal.

if all was good, I’d see the red light reflected on my hand.

if you’ve not got a high level brake light, then I really recommend you to fit one!!  (If only for this reason 🤔🤣🤣)

12 minutes ago, BigCol said:

I had issues in the past with my stop light switch (before I swapped the standard switch for one from Car Builder Solutions)

My way of checking was to reach behind me whilst at rest and “cup” my high-level brake light with my hand as my foot depressed the brake pedal.

if you’ve not got a high level brake light, then I really recommend you to fit one!!  (If only for this reason ...)

That was going to be my next question!

Jonathan

4 hours ago, BigCol said:

if you’ve not got a high level brake light, then I really recommend you to fit one!!  (If only for this reason 🤔🤣🤣)

Have a pair of JALs thanks ….

nit having had two issues of no stop lights I want to be sure they are there 

Daughter has just passed her driving test and one of the (potential) questions was how do you check your brake lights are working when you are on your own?

Answer is simple - reverse up to a vertical surface like a wall or window and apply the brakes.

I’d rather do this every few journeys than have a warning light blink on the dash every time the brakes go on!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

That's a lot easier. Connect a second lead to the switched side of the switch. Connect the other end of that to one side of a new telltale on the dash. Connect an earth to the other. (The right way round if it's an LED.)

Jonathan

PS: Have you had problems with the switch... there's a recommended replacement. 

Assuming you'd use a piggyback spade terminal: I've recently had the spade connector fall off the switch, so I'd rather pick the feed from the lamp than the switch, which would also monitor the wiring to the rear of the car.
That said I would like others not want a lamp that came on every time I used the brakes, so I just use the trick of reflection or the below:

@Wrightpayne I often just leave my phone recording video behind whatever I am to check as it may be difficult to see the reflection from each individual lamp on a trailer.

13 hours ago, 150SV said:

Id like to have a small telltale light on the dash that illuminates when my brake lights are on.

I seem to remember it being a thing in the 80s for Motorcycles, and you could buy a kit with some optic fibre in it.

Just trying to work out the easiest way to do this.

If you want to go fibre you could get a Toslink cable for audio

5 hours ago, SLR No.77 said:

Aren’t you trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist?

Not really. Its my car, and Id just like to be sure Im not going to killed by some overweight milkfloat driving over the top of me, because the crap brake light switch from Caterham has failed again.

• Leadership Team

It must be much easier to replace it with a new one (from CBS) than to go to the trouble of wiring up an extra warning lamp. Just sayin’ ….

Bit late to this. I'd over complicate this as I always do. I'd put an Arduino in to measure current, I could then measure every time the brake pedal was pressed how much current was drawn. In theory you could then detect if a bulb blew. Not sure how it would work with LEDs. You'd also keep everything around the dashboard / engine bay to minimise changes / easily remove.