Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T first car for my son

nic.day

Hopefully helpful....

Been through the very same recently.....

Tried quotes on literally a hundred different cars.......Found the cheapest car to insure was a 2012 Polo! 1 or 1.2 litre engine but most importantly.....basic trim level......and worth approx £4-5k.

Hope that helps!

agree with Reindeer, we ended up with a VW Up 1.0 litre 2013 with about 50K for around 5K.  Which I must say is a hoot to drive and i use it whenever not in use over my tintop

Do though check the different models in the insurance as we found different amounts dependent on that by £500

Good luck with the search

Friend looked to gift his son the family 20 year old 1.4 corsa. It worked out cheaper to buy a citroen C1 / Toyota Aygo / Ford Ka and insure than just insure the corsa. I believe those cars are designed the way they are to be "first" cars.

I had a citigo for 4 years.....really great car actually! 

3 cylinder engine had a lot of character, it was reliable and even handled motorway journeys well.

The drivetrain/clutch/gearbox is a bit noisy but they all seem to be like that.

Maybe too late - The Up / Citigo / Mii can suffer rust around the fuel cap due to lack of arch liners, which were fitted on some models later in production. Our 2014 Move Up didnt have them and I’ve since retro fitted them and sorted out the rust which was at an early stage.

The 5 speeds have a rattly gearbox when in neutral on tickover - it’ll seem quiet compared to the seven. 🙂 

Some sills can film with water and can be heard sloshing about. Pulling the sill plugs will allow it to drain.

They are really fun and easy to drive. Well was fun now daughter passed her test and the black box fitted!

Very cheap motoring - new Bosch battery £54. 4 new mid range tyres £280 fitted.

Edited by Wrightpayne

• Area Representative

“First car for my son” - not a bad swap. But seriously I would recommend a Citroen CI, Toyota Aygo or Peugeot 107. All are basically the same car with a different badge. All are Toyota, well built simple and with good reliability. I’ve looked at many small cars and these are the most rust free. Cheap to buy and cheap to insure. 

• Leadership Team

I had a 107 for a number of years, took it past 130k (by which time it was somewhat tired) and would recommend one of those three - though I guess they are all somewhat old now and I think you tend to get cheaper insurance with cars that have driving "aids".

Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 or Peugeot 107/108 are great cars  ... but make sure its the 1.0. The 1.0 is the Toyota engine, the 1.2 is the PSA engine.

We still have one that we bought 6 years ago.

Logic says the 1.0 Citybugs (107 etc) are the way to go by a huge margin, until safety comes into the argument (you did say you had a son, not a daughter!). They give good crash test results but I just felt were too light/small in a real accident. Up! etc are better in this regard but we went for next class and a 2008 Fiesta for my daughter. It was written off last year when I was driving it, hit from behind by a newish Suzuki Vitara that did not look to good either - no injuries all round thank goodness.

Crash protection is my worry on all of these cars (I'm 6'3" and used to drive a proper early 70's mini which I never crashed thankfully). Friend used to design car airbags and explained something to me that is obvious that I hadn't clicked. Crash tests are done against the car using its weight, they're not done against the average car hitting you. A 5 star rated 107 at 800kg will get trashed when a 2.5 tonne electric something hits it.

(yes I have just raised this on a forum of Caterhams - we're talking about our childrens first car, that allows me to be a hypocrite as its not about me)

• Like 1

In my original thoughts I had the 107, C1 and Aygo as a real option but safety as you said came in to my head. Plus - when you look at insurance a 1.2 Polo is cheaper than a 107 as an example. I certainly feel the Polo would be 'safer' than a 107 etc

Just trying to find an honest straight example now

• Like 1

My wife is selling her Citroen C1 very shortly. She's the local GP and it's been her runabout for a few years to preserve her low mileage Civic Type R. The clutch on the C1 went this morning, so we've agreed to get that fixed and then sell it. We're between Newbury and Hungerford, West Berkshire. It's a 2003 model and serviced every year - I also bought a brand new Sony stereo for it recently with Bluetooth. It has the odd minor scrape and scuff, but overall it's fine. No known issues. I don't think it's particularly high mileage - maybe 60k or 70k, something like that. I can send more details and some photos if you're interested.

Edited by RobManser