Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lifeline quick release boss

My quick release boss for the steering wheel has started to stick in the open position requiring me to double check it has locked in the closed position before driving. I think it has dirt in the mechanism so want to take it apart, clean and lubricate. 
Has any one done this before? Just want to make sure it will all go back together once you remove the circlip and release the spring?

Not sure about dismantling…. personally, I’d give the mechanism a thorough dosing with GT85 or similar to flush out any debris and give it a good lubrication (or replace it with a Go-Race unit at the Club’s discount…)

• Like 1

The standard QR boss? Easily dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. I’ve done a few over the years. 

There’s a circlip at the back which releases everything. Be careful to not lose any of the ball bearings. Clean and grease and reassemble which is the reverse of……….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

The standard QR boss? Easily dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. I’ve done a few over the years. 

There’s a circlip at the back which releases everything. Be careful to not lose any of the ball bearings. Clean and grease and reassemble which is the reverse of……….

Excellent, just what I needed to know. Thanks

You should NOT use WD40 on the QR boss as it goes sticky, also never use it in locks as a “ friend” found out 🤫 . As above GT85 is best  

From the technical stuff:
“WD 40 is a product that helps stop water from entering the area or to help remove water and lube an area. It also helps with many other things like loosening rusty bolts. However, it is NOT a long term lubricant or one that should be used for complex machinery”

• Like 1

So I have tried GT85, then taken it apart and cleaned throughly and lubricated, no luck. Taken apart again and refaced and polished the chamfer the ball bearings can sit on when  the collar is back. Still not great. Apart  again and used Teflon grease on all internal surfaces. This did the trick, no failures since.

It’s the ball bearings getting stuck on the chamfer that is the issue. The slightly thicker lubricant helped them to slide back into position. Will see how it goes.