Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Misfire K Series

Orange

1 minute ago, rj said:

PS: If the lamp does not come on when turning on ignition, then certainly not the battery. If it comes on and does not turn off when the engine is started, it's not the battery, nor the lamp wire.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

The ignition light on the dash is normal - on when ignition on and off when running.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Unless you find a faulty wire it's most likely to be the alternator, and even if the light goes out, the output could be intermittient. This could be caused by a soldering inside the alternator, worn brushes or even worn bearings. In any case it's time for a new alternator

• Like 1

The larger wire B+ is red and goes from the alternator via the starter motor to the +ve terminal on the battery.

i have checked the voltages at each junction and the voltage is the same.

Many thanks all - new alternator it is. Anybody with a 2006 eu3 K Series that can still see the part no?

27 minutes ago, anthonym said:

most people these days seem to prefer WOSPs. Maybe a new thread to ask which one K series owners buy?

I don't have one so please check with everyone else on here.

https://www.wosperformance.co.uk/search-results?p=1&mid=101&fs=caterham

OR CONTACT Redline at sales@redlinecomponents.co.uk

It's not a direct replacement and requires both ballast resistor and an extra wire.

2 hours ago, anthonym said:

Ballast resistor seems a good idea. What’s the extra wire? A sense wire ?

interesting wosp doc

https://www.wosperformance.co.uk/clientarea/files/downloads/Wosp Alternator Instructions.pdf

wrightpayne has given link to perfect details above

The WOSP needs an "enable" - a switched +VE to start charging. It has warning lamp output that on an EU3 needs a ballast resistor in parallel with the warning lamp to prevent it from being on permanently. A 68 ohms 3W resistor should do. Mind you it gets hot! The sense wire can be connected either to the battery +VE or to the post at the alternator that connects to the battery. Of course the best is to connect it to the battery as the regulator can then compensate for loss in the wire, but you'll be OK with the simpler solution.

Thank you all. This is now solved.

New alternator sourced locally and fitted this evening. I had to remove an engine mount to get the old one out (car is an SV so not sure if this allows access on an S3) Battery is charging, the voltage is now back up at 14+v when running and early signs of garage running is that the misfire is gone. 

I will take it for a run tomorrow to make sure nothing drops off.

• Like 5

I’m chasing a similar problem with my K series SV. Not sure what’s caused the issue in my case, but I’ve fudged round it by adding a ‘temporary’ manual exciter wire by piggy backing from the brown / yellow wire, via a push switch to the battery +ve terminal.

I start the car and the dash reads 12.1v max then when I push the button to put voltage to the terminal on the alternator it starts charging and the dash reads 14.5v 

Might be a useful bit of knowledge to get anyone out of a bind / breakdown - once the engine is running a touch of a wire to the battery +ve bridging to the brown/yellow wire will have the same effect.

I've seen a few like that. The LED indicator used by Caterham only passes about 4mA. It's sometimes not enough to excite the alternator and get it started. The alternator was designed to bee excited through a small incandescent bulb, or at least something that passed rather a lot more current. You can add a power resistor from the alternator wire to +12V as an alternative to manual switch, to emulate a bulb load. Just make sure it is adequately rated and preferably safely attached to metal somewhere as it will also emulate a bulb by getting quite warm if you leave it with the ignition on but the engine off for a period of time.

• Like 1

I may have spoken too early. New alternator is working and charging but the red light on the dash does not go off once started…..

Misfire has gone but it is now sometimes hunting on tick over and then almost or completely stalling. I checked fault codes and P0501 engine speed sensor was there. I cleared this and it seems to have stopped hunting.

Any ideas? (Why red light remains on now and hunting)