Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wind deflectors that attach to the windscreen question

Ainsley

For a laugh I went out for a drive without the doors, brilliant till I got to about 50mph.

Anything faster and I couldn't breath 🙂

So, apart from not breathing, my hat blowing off and my sunglasses jiggling about, I did wonder if it would be slightly improved with those wind deflector things.

Now, I'm not expecting much, and I don't want to wear a helmet - I have a collection of motorbikes for that.  Just wondered what other people experience was like with them.

I bought a pair years ago.  I found that (a) their efficacy could be improved slightly by bending the bottom edge out (using a heat gun), and (2) anything over 60mph was really out of the question.   The last time I used them was during a relatively sedate potter from home to the Sherborne "Classics at the Castle".

JV

Bought a set from a member for this exact reason. Tweaked the bottom of them out and as said, its “better” than before at 50-60mph but its still not great. 
I leave them on as it is still an improvement over nothing at all and I prefer not to have any doors on unless I’m driving long distance. 

Bought a pair 20 years ago, tweaked the bottom edge, sold them a week later .  .  . . . Useless!

The only options are to keep using the doors or, as I did fit an aero screen. Haven’t used a full screen for over 10 years. 👍

I've have used windscreen, deflectors, half doors for years, must be way more than ten. I rarely do motorways, but can do at 70 etc. Also do the 'ring, but don't really exceed 80mph. Never had trouble breathing; often seen this reported.

Main advantage is the associated reduction in heat in the cockpit. Maybe I am lucky with the angle of dangle of the deflectors. edit I seem to recall chatter on here about altering said angle of dangle being crucial.

Edited by anthonym

My car came with these plexy wind deflectors. I have not used them as I’m not sure how they mount. (There are springs that I guess attach via the small stanchion hardware.)

I drove once without the doors. Over 30mph I was grabbing my cap as it was being lifted off my head. Over 50mph I was sitting on my cap and my hair was in my face. I will have to learn how to mount the deflectors and take it for drive to see if they work for me or not.

SPA mirrors.jpg

Deflector Springs.jpg

My experiences over the years with my own Caterhams and riding in friends is that there are really just two options that work well: windscreen and side doors, or aeroscreen and half doors. I love both, but I never felt safe without a helmet on with an aeroscreen, so with my latest Caterham I use a screen with doors on the road, and have bought an aeroscreen for track use.

• Like 1

What Rob says.

aero and half-doors on track. I drive there with a screen and doors on TO the track, swap it over. 

20 mins job

stick screen and door back on, drive home.

doors off is basically grim as it sucks the air out of your lungs either at 30mph with a screen or 90mph withan aero.

I think people who drive without a screen (edit: without a helmet) on the road are insane.

Edited by graearea
without a helmet

Wind deflectors, with the bottom fold bent as far inwards as I could get it to go, pushing the outer edge almost parallel to the windscreen, plus half doors and it is almost as good as side screens for wind reduction, and better for keeping cooler in hot weather.

Mind you I'm only 5'5" so I sit forwards in the car. Any further back and you start to get the wind hitting your right ear.

Mike

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

I'm happy with screen but no doors at any speed for about 25 minutes. In really hot weather it really allows the heat to escape and completely worth the blast of air.

Of course you can breathe, it's just a blast of wind. 

As for sunglasses - use Wiley XL1 (expensive but great) and circumaural ear defenders.

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

I had some ear plugs moulded at the Autosport show a couple of years ago, they just make driving with screen or without so much more comfortable. I can hear the motor and conversation but it just cuts out so much wind noise. They took a little while to get used to, but now they are simple and comfy to use.

"Any further back and you start to get the wind hitting your right ear."

interesting: yes I'm 5'10" (and a half) and do sometimes suffer from a cold right shoulder, I've often wondered about some sort of right arm only protection, especially when it's raining or just cold, I have sometimes stuffed something (whatever is on the passenger seat) down the side and over it. Then again over the years I have dreamt about a tonneau design that allows me to poke up through it, covers my shoulders, or even is like a wet suit and just my face is exposed and has see through bits so I can see the instruments. Wet suit, there's a thought.. 3mm perhaps?

Edited by anthonym