Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting Toyo R888’s to fit under the cycle wings

Ralph45

I have just replaced my Avon ZZS tyres with a set of ToyoR888r’s and really struggled to get the front's to fit under the cycle wings. I managed to fit the off side after about 30 seconds but the other side needed help from someone else to lift the side edge of the wing while I fitted the wheel. Once fitted there is ample clearance between the tyre and wing stays. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to make an adjustment to the stays or wings for easier wheel removal for maintenance and cleaning in the future, if so what’s the best way to tackle it?

With my 195/50-15 front tyres, I rotate the hub so that the studs are level at the top, then tilt the wheel to fit the tyre under the wing, then on to the hub studs. Having the top studs level gives about 10mm more clearance on my car when pivoting the wheel in to place, compared with having one stud at the top and the middle two studs level.

• Like 1

I am aware there is a formula, but I can’t remember exactly what it is. The issue comes from the tyre fouling on the outside edge of the wing before the studs are anywhere near to lining up. The wings are carbon fibre so have enough flex to just enable the tyre to slide in with an extra pair of hands.

Im now trying to devise a softish non damaging tool similar to a shoe horn only wider to make wheel removal and fitting easy.

Are you tilting the top of the wheel in towards the car then putting top outer edge of tyre under lip of wing and up into middle of wing, then locating top two studs and standing wheel upright ? Maybe shouldn't need a shoe horn for that ?

1 hour ago, Ralph45 said:

The issue comes from the tyre fouling on the outside edge of the wing before the studs are anywhere near to lining up. 

At that moment what's stopping you moving the wheel and tyre closer to the car?

Jonathan