Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cam belt change time questions

pug7

Hi all. I’ve got a 2012 sigma 140hp 7on about 10,000 miles. Prob due a cam belt change, tried the local dealer from me (I’m in stoke ) got told £600 inc tensioner, seems a bit steep ? What sort of cost should I be looking at for a belt change? Would you do the tensioner “ water pump? Anything else? And nope not happy doing it myself I’m afraid….

• Area Representative

Whatever you do make sure who does it is competent and aware that timing is not standard Ford and therefore normal Ford camshaft locking tool can’t be used. By the way £600 is probably about right for main dealer price. 

On 21/07/2024 at 10:30, pug7 said:

Hi all. I’ve got a 2012 sigma 140hp 7on about 10,000 miles. Prob due a cam belt change, tried the local dealer from me (I’m in stoke ) got told £600 inc tensioner, seems a bit steep ? What sort of cost should I be looking at for a belt change? Would you do the tensioner “ water pump? Anything else? And nope not happy doing it myself I’m afraid….

I think the water pump is driven off the auxiliary belt rather than the timing belt.

Apologies for jumping in on this thread, I have a 2010 sigma 150, 6 years and 3,000 mile since cam belt last changed.

Am I rolling the dice each time I go for a blat😟

Well......mine was changed a few weeks ago......

2008 150bhp Sigma. 14k miles.

Believed to be on it's original belt. (Definitely hadn't one in last 11 years but can't be sure between 2008 and 2013)

It was in really good shape still! Absolutely no damage or visible ageing.

Leads me to understand more why Ford say 10 years for the change interval.

Going forward I'm probably going to do it every 7-8 years?

4 minutes ago, Reindeer said:

Well......mine was changed a few weeks ago......

2008 150bhp Sigma. 14k miles.

Believed to be on it's original belt. (Definitely hadn't one in last 11 years but can't be sure between 2008 and 2013)

It was in really good shape still! Absolutely no damage or visible ageing.

Leads me to understand more why Ford say 10 years for the change interval.

Going forward I'm probably going to do it every 7-8 years?

Same for me. 2010 ex race car with No history of cam belt being changed. Seemed to be original tensioner but belt was in excellent condition. At least I know it has been done now. 

Great, thanks for the replies, that puts my mind at ease, however I will look to change end of next season at the latest. Current mileage 10k.

Just road use at the moment maybe some track next year🤞

Edited by greenb