Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Connecting the fuel hose - a simple job????

CO2MAX

I’m about halfway through my 420S SV build and reached the point of connecting the fuel line. However, the connector on the end of my fuel hose currently tends to naturally orient at 180 degrees  to the desired angle for fitting to the fuel rail. Logic suggests to me that I can’t simply twist the hose (within the protective spiralling) as this would result in quite a strain on the connection. I looked at rotating the connector on the end of the hose but it didn’t seem to want to move readily. Consequently I e-mailed CC and got the following response (after a week!):

“The fuel hose connector cannot be rotated as it is permanently secured to the end of the plastic pipe. It may be necessary to remove some of the cable ties securing the hose to the chassis so that it can be rotated sufficiently.”

I have duly removed all the cable ties as far as the level of the bulkhead behind the seats however no amount of twisting will stop the fuel line and connector wanting to return to its original orientation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I revert to contacting CC again and waiting another week for a response.

Cheers, Craig.

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

That's not good.  Is it screwed into the tank/pump incorrectly ?

Perhaps the other end needs to be rotated, maybe its wrong by 180 there ?. Mine was not out at all.  I would not mess about with the fuel hose.

I would pop in to see whichever dealer you will be using for the post build check and speak to a mechanic there.  You will most likely get a fast response if CC are busy not responding.

Thanks Ainsley. I haven’t tried to look at the tank end - not sure how easy that will be. As you say I’m not keen on messing with the fuel hose and unfortunately, being in Angus, I’m  hundreds of miles from my supplying dealer. I could probably drive there and back in much less time than it’ll take CC to reply though😂

If you do need to remove the fuel hose from the tank end, be aware that connector is designed to have the locking tabs pried away from the hose.  They are not push-in tabs as normally used on electrical connectors.  There are some close-ups of the connector in this post:  https://usa7s.net/ips/topic/13992-520r-sv-build-has-commenced/?do=findComment&comment=131113

Also, if you do remove the floor -- which can be incredibly maddening -- my recommendation is to cut it into two pieces to make future removal an easy job.  

-John

• Like 1

I had a similar issue on my 420 build but only about 90 Deg out  however I still didn't want to force it. I unclipped the pipe to just under the battery and had a bit of an S bend over the bell housing. It then clipped on nicely. When I came to tidy up the ECU wiring the pipe fell back into its original location without much persuasion.  Despite what the manual stays you can clip and unclip to the fuel rail easily.

Hope that helps

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cobar said:

If you do need to remove the fuel hose from the tank end, be aware that connector is designed to have the locking tabs pried away from the hose.  They are not push-in tabs as normally used on electrical connectors.  There are some close-ups of the connector in this post:  https://usa7s.net/ips/topic/13992-520r-sv-build-has-commenced/?do=findComment&comment=131113

Also, if you do remove the floor -- which can be incredibly maddening -- my recommendation is to cut it into two pieces to make future removal an easy job.  

-John

Thanks John. Looks like I’m heading down this line and in the process getting some early learning in on the work that was completed by CC before I got my kit. I see what you mean about trying to get the floor off - I think I’ll wait until after the IVA before cutting it in two though.