Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removal of brake light switch

Doc007

Is the removal/installation of a brake light switch a job of moments or something to regret you started? Remove pedal box and whip it out?

A friend has really dim brake lights that sometimes flicker. They are the new LED type and I’d like to try swapping his brake light switch for mine to see if it is faulty as, because it is both lights, I assume it’s either the switch or a poor earth. Does anyone know where the earth is for the brake lights? Anything else it might be?

2020 420 SV.

40 minutes ago, K7 VCT said:

Just touch his brake lights connectors together to bypass  his switch.....

Sounds like a poor earth. 

Jonathan, will be able to send you a wiring diagram 

Ah, clever! Unlike me with electrics. A wiring diagram may be lost on me unless it show exactly where the earth is! But I’ll take a look …

• Haha 1

It could be that the plate that depresses the brake switch plunger isn’t properly set, ie it isn’t fully depressing the plunger. Easy enough to check with the pedal box cover off.

MattB

Edited by MattB
Correction

I’m on a ‘phone so pls pardon brevity. 

Yes, check plunger action. 

You can open the standard switch and try to improve the contact, but there’s a spring just waiting to make a bid for freedom. Do it in a box.

But there’s a much better switch available: lots of references in the archives. 

Jonathan

23 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

IIRC it switches the live feed. And uses the common earth near the lamp unit. 

That ⬆️

As above, remove the cover, short the switch’s terminals and see how the lights look.  If the same, then issue is unlikely to be switch but earth-related.  If brighter, then the switch probably isn’t making full contact.

Edited by BigCol

On 14/07/2024 at 18:28, Jonathan Kay said:

IIRC it switches the live feed. And uses the common earth near the lamp unit. 

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. Sorry to be a PITA but where is the common earth near the lamp unit.