Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why have my headlight stopped working ?

Ainsley

First post build problem 🙂

My headlights dont work any more.  The dash lights dont work either.  But the headlight flasher and indicators work.

So I imagine its a fuse right ? Given both lights (main and dipped) stopped and the flasher, brake lights and indicators all work.  So its probably not my dodgy wiring.

But when I pulled all the fuses out, non seemed to be broken.  Do I need to look harder ? Anyone got a map of which fuse does what, so I can stick it inside the fuse box for next time.

Is it a relay ?

Am I destined to just use the car in the daylight now 🙂

Anyway, the sun is out so Im heading for a 1000 miles in the first week !

a few points when my stop working:-

• IS it all lights (dipped, full beam and side) - - each are on different fused circuits
  • If all, or just side lights working, maybe the  switch - Take out and pull apart and and keen up all contacts, could also be  a connection on the full beam/dip switch
  • In cases when it was just dip or main beam not working, check behind the fuse box, as you may find on of the contacts or wires has popped out
  • Also  check the earth.

I find it's usual a combination of the above

Sorry, on a small screen. 

There’s a very recent thread with my suggested diagnostic pathway, which includes measuring voltage at the main light switch. Pls can someone add a link. 

Layout of fuses and relays is in the  Owner’s Handbook. But beware variations. Map your own to be certain: it will save time. 

Jonathan

Its all the headlights, which now looking at the owners handbook fuse instructions, I see is on two different circuits.

So I will have a fiddle around the back of the switch first.  I can also have a look for the annoying indicator buzzer and tape it up while Im ferreting about behind the dash.

In the meantime I need to update my insurance, there is no way Im going to do just 2000 miles a year.  I've done 200 already today and its only 3pm.  I've had the car for two weekends and put 800 miles on it 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ainsley said:

Thanks for the link, I will go through it and hopefully it will shed some light on my problem 🙂

but not initially from your headlights... *getmecoat*

best of luck getting a fix (given the flashers work, I’d discount fuse or relay but look at the main switch as the issue)

Yeah, I suppose as the dip, main and dash lights are all on separate fuses its probably a switch issue.

The flasher working means there is power to the lights, so its not an issue with me wiring up the lights that has failed.

I will sit in the car upside down with my head under the dash and fiddle with the switches tonight.

On a separate thought - given its not likely to be a build issue, would this not be a warranty issue and I can just get Caterham to fix it for me ?

That would save time and effort on my part.  Id rather now be thrashing the tyres off it not fiddling with it in the garage.

22 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

I will sit in the car upside down with my head under the dash and fiddle with the switches tonight.

For me, that's a sure-fire recipe for a ruptured back (or something).  You might find it more comfortable just to remove the switch(es) from the dashboard.

Good luck with the detective work.

JV

I've also bought some nice LED headlights, perhaps I should just throw money at the problem and get someone to fit them and fix the problem.

While its still daylight I want to spend my time driving, not fiddling 🙂

Looking at the weather forecast however, I may as well fiddle tonight and tomorrow night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ainsley said:

You can sometimes get a good look with a smart ‘phone’s camera and screen. 

And I’d definitely identify and fix the problem before changing the lamp unit.

Jonathan

• Like 1