Click here if you are having website access problems ×

e10 fuel effect on hoses

Bob_Rich

HI  

It is some time since I last rebuilt my seven (lotus s3 sprint spec crossflow)   The hose I fitted back around 2008  I was wondering if from the marking One can tell if it should be OK for  E5 and E10 fuel

have attached a shot of the markings on the hose which hopefully describes it well enough to  see if it is OK

Thanks in advance for any help

cheers Bob

P7090042.JPG

you learn something new every day, I thought SAE R9 hose was the 'go to' but the DIN hose has a higher burst pressure. I normally buy this sort of thing from Advanced Fluid Solutions. I've heard (not saying they're true) stories when E10 came out of ebay fuel hose being lower grades that have higher grades printed on them.

Hi All thanks for all the interesting and informing responses

I have only ever put 97 grade fuel in it ( following advise of late Steve Parker who rebuilt the engine for me) and I understand that 97 is   E5

The fuel hose seems quite flexible. There are no cracks or  or any other suspect bits.  A short length of this same hose connects the two 40DCOE's

I removed this hose when I had the carbs cleaned by Paul at Chelmsford Weber Services. I have refitted the carbs with this same short length of this and this was quite flexible and showed no signs of deterioration.

car all back together now

thanks for all the help

Bob

• Area Representative
20 hours ago, JP said:

I also understand that Esso 99 tends to be E0 (zero) at most fuel stations in UK.  They had something about this on their website although I can't find it now...

That is what I understand about ESSO 99. Having no ESSO stations locally & because of the supermarket fuel change to E10  I now use SHELL V Power 99 E5 .  After the switch  the car starts from cold better & has a more stable tick over when hot. There is no perceivable performance change. So what does that say about supermarket E5 ?

There shouldn’t be any issues in starting or smoothness of running of a fuel injected car on E10. E10 become widely used here in Canada about 25 years ago and all petrol since the end of 2022 is now E10.

In cold conditions some ethanol is actually beneficial to absorb any free moisture in the fuel to prevent fuel line freezing between the pump and injectors when the temperature is below -20C. We used to buy small bottles of Fuel Line Antifreeze that was basically neat ethanol, to add to a tank of fuel in the winter, but E10 made that unnecessary.