Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Noise levels @ Goodwood 19th Aug 2024 - 98db Static, 96 drive by

Justin Time

Hi All,

Does anyone know how strict they are at Goodwood, or what I can do to to get my car under 98db?

Im awaiting Simpson to build a 4-2-1 exhaust in September, but am pretty sure I'm about 99db Static.

its a L7 club day, so we can't be the only ones, surely?

I'm running 1600 K series + Jenveys and stage 1 head and the old standard 4-1 manifold and silencer.

I don't think the silencer is repackable

• Area Representative

We used to put two 8mm bolts through the tail pipe on the exhaust on the rally car in a cross, so 90 degrees to each other.

It wins you a couple of decibels static and you can take them out afterwards. Rally car was making 300bhp so we didn't notice any loss.

If you are getting a new exhaust it won't matter if it has some extra holes.

I did a track day at Goodwood last month with the GRCC & a Westfield was a bit over the limit, they let him drive but warned if he was over the limit on the drive by they would tell him & he would need to ease of the accelerator at the points of where the sensors are around the circuit (2 places I believe), so all in all fairly relaxed & grown up approach. 

I have found Goodwood to be very helpful…As long as you talk to them, listen and lift where they tell you.

Out of the chicane, out of Madgwick and into Fordwater , you are braking into Lavant anyway and “Fill yer boots” up the Lavant straight I was told.

I got through a whole day with a car that was 111 dB static when a guy in a Golf got kicked out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin

I marshal at Goodwood. If you do get a noise board you get three warnings and then it will be the black flag.

Nobody at the circuit wants this to happen so if you are given the noise board listen to what the team advise you and enjoy your day!

For what it's worth I have seen plenty of cars given the board but only one thrown off the circuit.

BTW I'll be marshalling that day, I'll be at Madgwick 😁

Gary

Edited by GaryK

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Garry, so you heard my noisy car yesterday!

Just o update this tread. I got balck flagged for noise in the morning, although was only 95 static. I was told it was only on the exit at Madgwick and I was 96.8 - not sure what the drive by limit is??

I was given advie on where to list off and this worked on the next session. I then checked the exhaust at lunchtime and found it blowing a bit on the front face, this is the original prototype Race Co can and is over 20 years old and a bit battered. We dismantled the front end and added some gasket lealant and this reduced the leakage a lot, if not 100%.

In the afternoon I ramped up the speed out of Madgwick and didn't get any more flags or Noise boards.

Wonderful day, first time back at Goodwood in 25 years!

Thaks to Simon and the team for a great day.

I also got black flagged for noise coming through the chicane only to receive an apology as they had called in the wrong yellow car!

Notwithstanding, a great day.  I think the format worked really well with limited cars on track at any one time.

Big thanks to the Track team.

I was driving the offending yellow car having triggered all three noise traps in a single lap

my car recorded 95 db static

the marshals were very helpful in explaining  where the mics were.  All I had to do was to short shift up a gear before I got to them.  All good after that

great day

• Thanks 1

• Leadership Team

We can get a 105db day but it is quite a bit more expensive. Goodwood were very helpful regarding noise and I was not made aware of any real issues and I checked throughout the day.

It was a great day.

Simon M.

Thanks Simon. You are, of course, correct. Most Sevens have no problem, so don’t penalise them because us noisy ones cause trouble!

If anyone wants a 105 day at Goodwood with a similar bunch of people to a club day, Delta Racing from Jersey organise a day around Easter every year.

https://www.delta-racing.co.uk

The days are very well run, the driving very good and the people really nice. 
Stewart Barrow is the chap in charge.