Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to find decent, long arm, stanchion mounted mirrors?

Dreamer

SM25T states: “Decent convex side mirrors on long sturdy arms fitted to stanchions give good rear view. (see the thread; Advice for Camping with a Caterham)

My car came with SPA convex mirrors and they are next to useless. The driver’s side is OK sort of but the passenger side is half hidden by the door frame. (I do not have door mirrors.) They won’t stay in place no matter how tight I think I have them. The car came with a brand new, in the box, right side mirror which I put on the car. It’s no better than the one I took off. Fortunately my car also came with a “Made for Sevens” four section wide angle view interior mirror.

Where does one find side mirrors with long, sturdy arms? Preferably with the same mounting dimensions as the SPA.

SPA mirrors.jpg

Canada Day 2024 05.jpg

I love my SPA mirrors but I agree the ball joint can be troublesome. Firstly, I'm assuming you know that the SPA ball joints are tightened by removing the mounts and tightening the hex head screw on the underside of the base, as shown in the photo below?

20240710_143132.thumb.jpg.95abc1912087c773cd5f2bc56cf139ab.jpg

Assuming this doesn't solve your position challenge, you have a couple of options.

1. Put a thin rubber gasket or tap washer between the ball of the arm and the cup of the base. This helps the arm to stay fixed but can also be repositioned when needed without needing to re-tighten the ball joint.

2. Disassemble the ball joint and drill & tap the base for a screw that can then be used to tighten the ball joint externally. See below for an example. 

20240710_143156.thumb.jpg.b8b42343f875916c088248258434d382.jpg

For what it's worth you can get longer arms with Motamec mirrors, which might also solve your issue of the stanchion blocking the passenger mirror.

Edited by Andy135

Those Spa mirrors are hopeless. I have been using Large long arm carbon effect convex mirrors from Car Builder Solutions for years. Unfortunately they have been unable to source them for a few years, but hopeful they will return. Solid mounting. Adjustable angle arm. Proper friction ball head 👍 photos follow. I believe they are also used on some motorbikes

The wind deflectors are angled outward and curve in at the bottom. That’s why one set of mirrors affixed to the stanchions is preferred. They work with or without doors, with or without deflectors. No hassles switching back and forth either.

Deflector and Mirror.jpg