Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rover Immobiliser behaviour after changing spark plugs (1.6KSS EU2)

JP

Posted (edited)

Experienced something today that I do not recall having seen before, although it has been many years since I last changed the plugs as the car has been off the road for 15 years.

After a change of plugs, the car would turn over, catch but then die immediately.  Inertia checked and OK.  IACV valve is new and "reset" done.  Fuel pump whirring heard on turning key.  Engine would keep running with throttle opened, but a little rough and with a strong fuel smell.  HT leads recently new and checked for resistance anyway and seem fine. 

So I put the old plugs back in but it still would not start properly.

Then I messed with the Rover immobiliser, pressing unlock several times when after a few presses I heard a click.  Then it sparked into life and idled normally.

So, I put the new plugs back in and had the same non-starting issue until I pressed the immobiliser unlock a few times.  Now seems fine.

I don't recall having this happen before - is this normal or is there something else I should look at ?

(BTW, in the plugs change I went from BCPR7ES to BCP7ES.)

Edited by JP

Thank you. That's what I read too, which I why I switched to non-resistive (I'm EU2 with dizzy).  Having said that, I had never had trouble with the "R" s before...