Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Ride Height and Adjustment

• Leadership Team

Could be wrong but, from memory, I thought it was a simple job to remove the spring/damper assy?  Just top and (infamous) bottom fixings, no?

James

9 minutes ago, Shortshift said:

Could be wrong but, from memory, I thought it was a simple job to remove the spring/damper assy?  Just top and (infamous) bottom fixings, no?

James

Bottom fixing isn’t too much of an issue. It’s the too fixing that worries me. Being a novice on sevens I haven’t got the foggiest how to get access to the top bolt and unsure if the nut is captive or not. 

There is an access hole from the boot for the bolt and a nut on the forward side (enough room to slide an open spanner up from the bottom). Same Allen key and spanner sizes as the bottom.

I’d agree with James, doing it on a bench you’ll stand a much better chance of not damaging anything in the surrounding area.

• Leadership Team

The below is from the CSR Supplementary Build Instructions which may also help.  Highlighting has nothing to do with me!

James

image.thumb.png.b75099b01150878f77a20ce99d9e8c2c.png

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Shortshift said:

I think the figures in that column refer to measurements taken from a particular car, and show measured values (presumably after set up) against specified values.  The car has very slight left-to-right differences in geo.

James

You are correct.  The document attached by Jonathan above was originally typed by me to document the flat floor set up of my 2010 CSR at time of original build with it weighted for a (fat) driver (aka me!).  Different CSRs will exhibit slightly different results on final set up if they have a different weight driver. 

There is an later version of that document with corrected tyre offset and the various different wheel dimensions I have used on my CSR since new. 

https://usa7s.net/ips/files/file/252-caterham-csr-suspension-set-up-specs/

Edited by Croc

Well got home and tried again and no joy. I’ve now taken it off the car. That top nut and bolt was worryingly loose. I know these are light so don’t need to be torqued up like my transit but still it was worrying. Hopefully now i can get the damn thing moving 🤞🏼

Posted (edited)

Don’t congratulate me yet. Just tried heating it with electric heat gun and no joy. Got it laying in a mechanics mat and all my weight (16st 🤫) on both opposing spanners and it just will not budge. Wire brushed the hole thing aswell to make sure then threads are clear. 

Any other suggestions?

Edited by PlastererPete

• Leadership Team
Posted (edited)

Maybe beating it with some sticks, as per Basil Fawlty??

More seriously, get some serious heat on to it (hot air gun on max or even a gas torch) and use whatever leverage you can to multiply your one man-power's worth of grunt.  Have you any scaffolding bars, or long, tubular jack handles?  It'll suddenly 'pop' and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good luck!

James

Edited by Shortshift

Posted (edited)

I’ll have to try and get the spacers off the bottom of the joint and get it in the vice. But as with everything, it’s been on there since 2005 and not exactly willing to come apart. 
All part of the “joys of motoring” my dad used to say. 
As a backup plan, I’ve messaged Bilstein to see if they sell the locking rings separately and given them the part number stamped on the body.  Just incase I resort to cutting them off. 

Edit:- Managed to get the locking ring off but the spring “cup” started to crack free but just wont budge anymore. Looks like I’ll need replacements as its heading more and more to cutting them off

Edited by PlastererPete

Little update to this incase anyone has issues in the future. 
Contacted CC and got hold of Darren the parts guys. He’s going to speak to the purchasing dept about ordering some. No idea how long that will take. 

In the mean time I took a punt and ordered a locking ring from “Evans & Son Rally Spares” just to see if there were aftermarket parts that would fit.

It turns out that a Collar for a 2.25” coil spring with a Bilstein Thread fits like a glove. A tad thicker than the original but it works. It’s blue because that was cheaper than a black one and it wouldve ended up in the bin it it didn't fit. 

Oh and excuse the work socks 😆BC120915-F399-4687-AC2F-5C96228BB522.thumb.jpeg.86c585b72e10fd3a0a806323df765ba1.jpeg

Edited by PlastererPete

36 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

As an alternative to using the second locking collar you can rework the main collar, drill a radial hole and tap to M6 add a small piece of stiff rubber which contact the threads, and secure with small grubscrew which is coated in silicone grease.

It's lighter too....*thumbup*

Nice idea! Although that particular coilover doesn’t need any locking system at all. Its got its own organic thread lock 😂