Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Ride Height and Adjustment

Posted (edited)

Hi chaps,

Just need some clarification of ride heights for a CSR. I’ve been trawling the search function and found various figures namely CCs factory setup:-

Front:- 140-145mm

Rear:- 158-163mm

But what I can’t find is where these figures are taken from. Is it bottom of the tub to ground? Or the length of a part of the shock/coilover body? 
The reason for this is that since fitting the newer ZZS profile front tyres the car feels like its nose up while driving (I’m not the lightest of blokes either, which probably doesn’t help). 
Any help always greatly appreciated. 

Edited by PlastererPete

Posted (edited)

Just got home and measured and have 165mm front and rear without my fat arse in it. So no wonder I’m feeling like I’m nose up in the car. I have 90mm sump clearance to the ground from its lowest point and would like to keep as much of that as possible considering I’ve given it a good thwack once already in my ownership and hit the hoop underneath a couple of times thanks to the state of the roads. 

Whats the downsides if I were to higher the back slightly only? I’m no track driver but do enjoy buzzing around the B-roads. 

Edited by PlastererPete

Posted (edited)

Not sure if the CSR is the same, but the deDion cars should be 15mm higher at the rear point compared to the front, with the equivalent of your weight (and passenger weight too if that's how you normally travel).

Try it and see how it feels ?

Edited by SM25T

1 hour ago, SM25T said:

Not sure if the CSR is the same, but the deDion cars should be 15mm higher at the rear point compared to the front, with the equivalent of your weight (and passenger weight too if that's how you normally travel).

Try it and see how it feels ?

According to what I've found on the forum from searching the CSR is the same in regards to a 15mm rake for road use as per an S3. I'll take the rear wheels off tomorrow and adjust the rear spring platforms. Won't be able to drive it as its persisting down with rain all weekend.

now......just got to find a C-spanner that fits 🤔

So got myself a couple of cheap-ish adjustable spanners that do 76mm. 

Gave it a try this afternoon and cannot get them to budge. Tried two spanners opposing forces, tried just the top ring to heighten the spring, just the lower ring to break it away from the top one but no joy. Even tried a few taps with a hammer to shock it to move down. 

Anyone got any tips? Its currently soaking in Plusgas until tomorrow. 

• Area Representative

I used 3.5  25Kg bags of sand on the drivers seat (squab removed) when adjusting my rake/ride height. Nothing in the pax seat as I rarely take any.

SWMBO confessed that she now knows my true worth !!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You need to crack the two rings apart first. They are intentionally locked against each other. If they have holes around the collars, you can use stubby crosshead screwdrivers as handles. If they have notches you need a suitable pair of c-spanners. Once separated, lift the car so that wheel is off the ground ... it makes adjustment so much easier

Edited by SM25T

Yep I’ve got C-spanners, car is jacked up, wheel is off (as its the rears I’m doing first). Just got a feeling I’m doing something stupid. I’m assuming they are both threaded the same (righty tighty etc). 

It can take a fair bit of force to crack then apart. Put a bit of tube on handle of spanners to get extra leverage. Wear thick gloves and mind your knuckles !!

Posted (edited)

I’ve given the spanners a few taps with the hammer. I’ll try again tomorrow and resort to a drift and see how it goes. As far as I’m aware they haven't been touched  since 2009. Just hoping they aren’t corroded together. 

Edited by PlastererPete

Are you trying to move them one at a time?  It will be better to try both together, either squeezing the spanners together or pulling them apart (depending on how you can position the spanners).  As Ian says, mind your knuckles

1 minute ago, OldAndrewE said:

Are you trying to move them one at a time?  It will be better to try both together, either squeezing the spanners together or pulling them apart (depending on how you can position the spanners).  As Ian says, mind your knuckles

Tried both at the same time in both directions then one at a time in both directions. 
I’ll soak it well again this evening with plusgas and give the heat a go tomorrow. I’m dubious of the heat as I’m unsure if it’s just oil filled or oil and gas. But i’ll be careful. 
Thanks for the help and suggestions as always.

• Leadership Team
Posted (edited)

Here are the official factory setting to work to (more or less identical between standard CSR and Superlight CSR).  Note that the nominal rake is circa 18mm.

James

image.thumb.png.9c570f1ddb2889f0f89e52b84c03807f.png

Edited by Shortshift

• Leadership Team
26 minutes ago, JP said:

Out of interest, why is the camber and castor different from left to right?

I think the figures in that column refer to measurements taken from a particular car, and show measured values (presumably after set up) against specified values.  The car has very slight left-to-right differences in geo.

James

• Leadership Team
42 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

Theres not an awful lot of room to get any leverage. Shes been thoroughly doused again, i’ll soak it again before work tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have some success tomorrow evening. IMG_3789.thumb.jpeg.54ef4045424c0bbf972b91a9c92776e3.jpeg

If leverage is an issue, it may be easiest (and fastest) to drop the damper/spring assy from the car and attack it on the bench.

James