Click here if you are having website access problems ×

NSF Wheel bearing failure

ptr_drvr

Hi folks, 

Hopefully a simple question - having not built my (or any) Caterham, do I need any special tools or know-how to replace the front wheel bearing? y NSF has failed and I have a replacement being posted to me, but I need to check if there's anything other than some basic tools required to get it fixed myself. As an example, is a press needed to remove or fit the bearing?

Many thanks in advance!

I have changed wheel bearings on other cars with a parallel punch and hammer. You have to be very precise and even tapping the outer race out and new one back in. A press would be better for getting the new ones in as easier to keep the race square. 

Put the hub in a warm oven for half an hour. Put the bearing cups in a freezer overnight. Once you remove them, fit them quickly before they warm up. This makes quite a difference.

Or find a friendly local garage with a press and bearing press tools !

• Like 1

Tap the old bearing out (carefully) then use this to place over the new bearing (this keeps everything nice and square) and tap gently until the sound of you tapping changes. Then you know you have seated the new bearing as far as it can go.