Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No Lights after LEDs

O.G.

I’m trying to fit Cafe Racer LED headlights to my 2015 360R.

After marking the light pattern of the old units on the garage wall I then temporarily fitted the RH LED and tried turning it on, nothing!

And I mean nothing. No headlights, side lights, front or back, rear high intensity, number plate and no light on the headlight switch. The head light flashers do work on the old units along with brake lights though. 

The headlight and sidelight fuses are intact. The rest of the car seems to be OK. 

HELP!!!

O.G.

IMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.cfe51b68183495419eb644b694ae3c53.jpeg
I have a multi meter but no wiring diagram.

The picture is not the best but all I did was connect the connector. I also removed the old side light bulb out of its holder. I left the yellow and red connectors from the new light alone.

Thanks Jonathan!

13 hours ago, O.G. said:

After marking the light pattern of the old units on the garage wall I then temporarily fitted the RH LED and tried turning it on, nothing!

And I mean nothing. No headlights, side lights, front or back, rear high intensity, number plate and no light on the headlight switch. The head light flashers do work on the old units along with brake lights though. 

The headlight and sidelight fuses are intact. The rest of the car seems to be OK. 

I suggest completely disconnecting the new lamp unit. And then testing all of those again and letting us know the result.

Jonathan

I have returned the car to standard ie halogen and the only lights I have are the headlight flashers and brake lights. Something must have blown but not the fuses. What is common to just about all the lighting system?

Indicator relay is different to the lights, so both wouldn't fail at the same time normally. Fuses are supposed to protect the wiring so are you sure you're checking the correct fuses? The fuses (i'm deliberately saying plural) are the only logical things to fail in my mind.

Additional thought - did you change any wiring to use the new headlights? Where are you checking for voltage - could it be the new wiring is at fault and if you go backwards on the loom you'll find the original wiring is ok.

2 hours ago, Miker7 said:

Indicator relay is different to the lights, so both wouldn't fail at the same time normally. Fuses are supposed to protect the wiring so are you sure you're checking the correct fuses? The fuses (i'm deliberately saying plural) are the only logical things to fail in my mind.

I’ve been caught out like this , my advise pull all the fuses and check , with continuity checks and meters it doesn’t load the circuit , I have seen a fuse (20amp) give a good continuity result but would not pass current , buy some fuses if different values and interchange to test 

good luck 

I have fitted indicator fuses that glow when they have blown, as I was so fed up with pulling all fuses to find the failed one  They are pretty cheap and have had no issues with them 

• Like 3

Should be in position to do a bit more on the car tomorrow. 

I’ll try to cover some of your recent points now.

The indicators work fine.

I pulled and continuity tested the head and side light fuses. Hopefully the correct ones as per the various diagrams. I’ll try new ones tomorrow in case they aren’t taking the load but they looked OK through the window.

Literally all I did was unplug the old unit and plugged the new one in and switched on. No wiring touched at all.

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions, keep them coming.

O.G.

8 hours ago, Tiddy7 said:

I have fitted indicator fuses that glow when they have blown, as I was so fed up with pulling all fuses to find the failed one  They are pretty cheap and have had no issues with them 

Me too… (not that any have blown, to enable me to make rapid identification!)

Assuming that you now have the original headlamp reconnected:

1 Set the multimeter to 15 V DC or similar. 

2 Measure the voltage across the battery.

3 Release the light switch. Identify the terminals from the wiring colours. With one probe on a good earth throughout measure the voltage at each terminal with the switch in each position: OFF, SIDE, HEAD.

Let us know the results.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Cafe racer headlights. I had to pull an extra wire through the bracket to the headlight and cut and crossed over two wires to enable the lights to work as follows. 

Ignition ON and DLR lights on, the wires cut and swapped were the original pod indicator lights under the headlights which are now extra side lights (LEDs) and the original indicator wires now go to the headlights to operate the built in headlight indicators. 

I have a wiring diagram but am away in Coll & Tiree then Stirling for the next 6 or 7 nights

Finally able to do work in the garage after the major disruption of meter changes.

Jonathan - I did your test but there was nothing at any switch terminal with the switch in any position. I even tried ignition on and off.

I tried the suggestion of pulling all the fuses and what did I find - fuse “L” flasher unit blown???

Can anybody explain why the only thing that works, the headlight flashers, the fuse is blown, and all the other lights, whose fuses aren’t blown, don’t. 
Unfortunately right now I don’t have a spare and I’m loath to junk another system by swopping fuses and blowing that one as well.

Off to Halfords tomorrow, do I change the flasher relay as well.

O.G.

9 minutes ago, O.G. said:

Jonathan - I did your test but there was nothing at any switch terminal with the switch in any position. I even tried ignition on and off.

I tried the suggestion of pulling all the fuses and what did I find - fuse “L” flasher unit blown???

Thanks. That narrows it down.

How are you identifying the fuses and relays? There are several different layouts...

Jonathan

I got it from the handbook and my spreadsheet I made up some years ago after I realised half those idents in the book were upside down.

I will send you it if you want when I can find it electronically.

IMG_2836.thumb.jpeg.121b8c297856d2b1b75fcd5f7b3662d0.jpegHere is a picture that might help, as I say I will try to find it electronically.

I’m thinking that the either the flasher unit fuse has blown with flasher relay frozen in an odd position or the relay failed and blew the fuse.

O.G.