Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Tank - K-Series VVC

I've been searching the archives for info on fitting the Apollo tank to my K-Series VVC and have found some info, but some of linked info and pictures are missing or out of date now due to the changes in the site and external sites no longer hosting pics.

This page is very helpful for a start though

https://www.mycaterham.com/66828/67348.html

However as I bought the tank and fitting kit seperately (as I didn't find the full kit on the Caterham store until just now, and it's out of stock anyway) I'm missing some bits too.

1) Is the tank drain plug an M20 x 1.5?

2) Is an aluminium drain plug OK to use?

3) What's the temperature sensor that fits in the side of the tank? I can see it's the same as the coolant temp gauge sensor on the rail, but I've failed to find this sensor on the Caterham website.

4) Someone mentioned they had managed to routing the pipes under the alternator belt, but the linked pictures were missing. Does anyone have any pictures of this routing?

5) To fit the breather into the cam cover is it a case of removing the cover, drilling an approriate hole for the threaded fitting to pass through and then tighten up the nut on the inside with thread lock?

6) Does the sandwich plate for the take off fit with the rubber gasket against the engine side? (This is my logic in this replicates the seal on the oil filter)

7) My assumption is the to fit the sandwich plate I simply unscrew the oil filter, fit the sandwich plate and tighten up the thread insert and then screw the oil filter onto the sandwich plate. Is that correct?

Thanks

4. On my SV I managed to route the oil pipes horizontally and under the alternator. Never liked the idea of hoses inside the alternator belt !

5. Yes

6. Yes.

7. Yes

• Like 1

Don't underestimate getting the sandwich plate sealed etc. When I did mine ended up getting Caterham to do it.....or I was just weak. It's easier with engine out but not easy in situ.

From memory the drain plug is the same as a Ford diff plug.

Bleed to cam cover as you describe.

Temp sensor is whatever you use to measure oil temp.....so if using the water temp gauge & a switch same as water temp.

• Like 1

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

You seem to have the job sorted. Redline will probably be able to supply your temp sender and drain plug. 
TOP TIP. I find the Apollo tank very lightweight and easy to damage when removing the drain plug to the point where some choose not to fully drain the Apollo. I use a small electric pump to suck out the oil from it via the breather aperture on the top of the Apollo. A suitable pump is often on offer at Lidl or on eBay. Similar to THIS.

Edited by Paul Richards
  • Like 1

I use a Pela vacuum bottle with it's small bore hose inserted through the top vent hole once breather hose removed. Do this when the oil is hot, but a lot of the oil will drain down into the sump if you disconnect the breather hose, reducing the amount you have to extract.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SM25T said:

4. On my SV I managed to route the oil pipes horizontally and under the alternator. Never liked the idea of hoses inside the alternator belt !

5. Yes

6. Yes.

7. Yes

Could you post a pic of your pipe routing please?  I also don't like the idea of pipes through the belt and might change that over winter.  Did you need to buy longer hoses?

Viewed from above, you can just see the hose elbows from the sandwich plate running horizontally under the alternator. I have got some other photos taken from under the car .... somewhere 

Screenshot_2024-07-03-08-14-55-49_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Like 1

There is a installation guide from club magazine a few years ago available if you do a Google search ( I also have it if required). 

It gives helpful advise on tightening the sandwich plate and how far to go. If a used kit advise replacing sandwich oil seal.

• Thanks 1

That’s the one John, I recently fitted an Apollo kit and I got to 15lbft for sandwich union ensuring new seal and it aligns square by not attaching pipes tank end. 

• 2 weeks later...