Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement stub axle

Willywonka

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm UKC697 is the correct part number for pre-2003 stub axle? 

There’s a couple of older threads that relate to 90’s cars using this part, but I’m not sure if all pre-2003 are the same? Mines a 2002.

Looking at this one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UKC697

Also if I instead decide to upgrade to the later set up, is there a more cost effective option than Caterham’s kit?

Cheers

• Area Representative
12 hours ago, Willywonka said:

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm UKC697 is the correct part number for pre-2003 stub axle? 

There’s a couple of older threads that relate to 90’s cars using this part, but I’m not sure if all pre-2003 are the same? Mines a 2002.

Looking at this one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UKC697

Also if I instead decide to upgrade to the later set up, is there a more cost effective option than Caterham’s kit?

Cheers

I don't believe there is any alternative supplier for the Caterham stub axle upgrade kit.  Though I am sure someone will be along to correct me !

Upgraded my previous 2000 K Series & never looked back.

IMO the upgrade is worth the money for the following reasons:

no more asymmetric bearings which if not properly maintained cause undue stress on the stepped axle.

no more 'weak' stepped axle

no more felt seals which have chocolate fire guard status in preventing grease egress.

no more having to check & adjust the bearing play at irregular intervals - the upgrade can go between the four year service cycle without a problem.

• Leadership Team
2 minutes ago, TomB said:

Yeah, but you can't actually use it.  Check the T&Cs.  

Which I guess would invalidate your insurance if theres a failure and its stated as being race use or show use only?

• Like 1

Quite possibly, but would a loss assessor strip the hub down and inspect the component or ask for a receipt?  Probably unlikely - but the JWM T&C put me off.  Eyes open, personal decision.    

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

Me too Tom, so when the time’s right I plan to fit the Caterham o/e uprated version which I know is designed and made as “fit for purpose”.
My 1999 car has its original stub axles and although there’s no sign of any issues yet I’d prefer to keep on top of it.

Stu.

Yep - mien still has the original Triumph ones with the tapered stub axle and felt seals.  Is on the list of Nice to Have's' and to do one day but never seems that urgent.    

3 hours ago, SLR No.77 said:

Which I guess would invalidate your insurance if theres a failure and its stated as being race use or show use only?

Where does it say race use or show only? Not saying it doesn’t but I can’t find it. 

I have JWM rod ends and Li battery. Told my insurance, they're happy with them and there was no extra charge. Having said that there are other things I might have bought but haven’t because of the T&C. I can’t see that they’ll help his business though they’re well hidden so maybe many don’t notice? 

His T&C are unfortunate. Most of the stuff he doesn’t actually make himself so he could put the onus on his suppliers to make sure they’re fit for purpose and get tests done on things he’s had made to his spec. if necessary.

Having said that, CC are not unfamiliar with selling ‘unfit for purpose’ items, are they? Have insurers refused cover when one of their components fail? 

• Leadership Team
15 minutes ago, ScottR400D said:

Where does it say race use or show only? Not saying it doesn’t but I can’t find it. 

I have JWM rod ends and Li battery. Told my insurance, they're happy with them and there was no extra charge. Having said that there are other things I might have bought but haven’t because of the T&C. I can’t see that they’ll help his business though they’re well hidden so maybe many don’t notice? 

His T&C are unfortunate. Most of the stuff he doesn’t actually make himself so he could put the onus on his suppliers to make sure they’re fit for purpose and get tests done on things he’s had made to his spec. if necessary.

Having said that, CC are not unfamiliar with selling ‘unfit for purpose’ items, are they? Have insurers refused cover when one of their components fail? 

The T&Cs are very clear, not "unfortunate". It's just that most people don't read them.

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

If you dig deep you’ll likely find a lot of us won’t buy from JWM irrespective of the T&Cs, there’s a distasteful history that exists.

The T&Cs are just the icing on the cake, the last nail in the coffin, describe it how you wish.

Stu.

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

Given the originals have done 20yrs/40k with minimal maintenance I’m only going to upgrade if it works out not much more than replacement, which doesn’t look likely!

can anyone confirm on the Rimmer Bros part, or a supplier of reasonably priced early type?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, SLR No.77 said:

If you dig deep you’ll likely find a lot of us won’t buy from JWM irrespective of the T&Cs, there’s a distasteful history that exists.

The T&Cs are just the icing on the cake, the last nail in the coffin, describe it how you wish.

Be careful, I made reference to the T&C’s of the Company in question on here some five years ago and received written warning from the MT for my trouble. 👿 

Canley Classics do an upgrade kit for the larger stub axles and same size bearings

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=uprated-front-hub-and-stub-axle-kit

I think that you'll find they are identical to other kits out there.

Plus they also do a trunnionless conversion kit which you might have seen elsewhere

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=trunnionless-front-suspension-kit

I believe that the trunnionless kit was developed well ahead of the Caterham offering which may be very similar - I have never looked.

I have the trunnion and axle kits on my series 3 7 and they are the DB's.

David

• Area Representative

Unfortunately Canley Classics upgrade kits appear to be out of stock. However when I changed mine some time ago I found Redline to be best priced. 
Assume I must have some of the older stub axles in my garage. If someone needs them I’ll have a look. 

• Leadership Team
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

Really?! Wow! 

No, not really.  Context (and accuracy) is everything. 

I guess you're not the type to believe everything you read on the internet!

James
(Former GenSec at the time alluded to).

Edited by Shortshift
  • Like 1