Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ideal dampers/springs BDR road use

Gridgway

I'm contemplating what my winter project is going to be on the BDR   as a recap I have recommissioned it after having not run since 2008.  It's a short cockpit LA BDR.

But it needs stuff doing.  The synchros are shot so the box will come out. 

I'm thinking about the shocks and springs.  It's very stiff at the rear and bounces around quite a lot. 

Has anyone any advice on how to proceed?  I want a really compliant fun road car. 

I'm happy to replace shocks and springs to get something that works really well. 

Thanks!

Something like 150 front and 75 rear would be a decent starting point if just road use. Generally you can go stiffer on the fronts but I've found you need to keep the rear soft to avoid losing traction and ride quality. I run 265lb front and 90lb rear on my track biased LA car but it's OK on the road. The additional top link on the front suspension really needs to be fitted, if not already fitted, with stiffer fronts.

What dampers do you have? If adjustable Bilsteins then refurbing them is an option. I'd go for Protech's if changing. 

Rob

Thanks Rob, I do have the front link kit fitted.  Spax dampers condition unknown.  Spring rate unknown at the moment.  Was used for hillclimbs and has fairly ferocious LSD.

Quite a lot to bring together to get the ideal road setup!

Graham

Posted (edited)

I had spax which were well goosed so I/we fitted Bilstein. I don't know the spec, maybe this pic will allow someone to identify. Adjustable platforms seem to me to be a must. Just spent 11 days (every other) blatting in Corsica, never gave the suspension a thought. and watch out for the front lower sleeves not being a perfect fit because these days "one size fits all" that size being metric.

image.thumb.png.f64379d76733e5fa2a0842ce381620f5.png

sixspeed with 4:1 open diff.

Edited by anthonym