Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To Borrow - Clarke Torque Adaptor or 270Nm Torque Wrench - Hinckley

Brownmonster

Hi,

As per the title, I just need to use either the torque adaptor or torque wrench to tighten up the rear hub nut to 270Nm, Ideally I don't want to buy a part to use just once in the build! Would consider buying the adaptor second hand if someone wants rid.

Thanks

Ste

I have a socket you can borrow. I just did mine as tight as I could with my normal torque wrench, but it didn't go to 270. It was enough to make sure the wheels didn't fall off for me to check the clutch / gears worked for a few yards up / down the drive.

Then when it went to Caterham Silverstone, they torqued them up properly. 

They do this as part of the PDQ.  Even my local garage didn't have a torque wrench that went to 270.

Measure your weight and using 9.81 as a factor, stand the appropriate distance along a breaker bar. I recently did mine and stood 296mm from the centre of the shaft. Calculation for my 93kg is .... 9.81N/kg thus 270/(93*9.81)=0.296 or 296mm

Alternatively (and I don't recommend this) figure approx. the most you can lift with one arm. Lets say its 45kg. Then 45kg at the end of a 60cm breaker bar =

(45 * 9.81) * 0.6 = 264......

So do it up BFT (blooming fffing tight) and it will be close enough.

Obviously if you're capable of lifting 90kg with one arm, well done going to the gym and use a 30cm bar.

I would just do them up as best you can, then in the PBC they do it properly.

You are not going to be ragging round the local roads - at the most you will do what I did and take it for a short pre PBC drive to check it actually work and that you can get all the gears, the brakes slow it down etc.

I got 120 NM out of my torque wrench, the wheels didn't fall off 🙂

4 hours ago, SM25T said:

Measure your weight and using 9.81 as a factor, stand the appropriate distance along a breaker bar. I recently did mine and stood 296mm from the centre of the shaft. Calculation for my 93kg is .... 9.81N/kg thus 270/(93*9.81)=0.296 or 296mm

Epic. Being a physics programmer this made me smile 🙂

2 hours ago, Ainsley said:

I would just do them up as best you can, then in the PBC they do it properly.

You are not going to be ragging round the local roads - at the most you will do what I did and take it for a short pre PBC drive to check it actually work and that you can get all the gears, the brakes slow it down etc.

I got 120 NM out of my torque wrench, the wheels didn't fall off 🙂

OK I'll probably do this then, my current wrench goes to 120Nm and is 40cm long, I've got an 90cm breaker bar so in theory I just need to apply the same amount of pressure at the end of that and it is happy days.

Yeah, so long as the wheels don't fall off while you drive it up and down the drive to check it actually works that's fine.

I did take mine out for a lap of the surrounding villages with my mate following in his car checking for leaks or bits that might drop off, but I have high risk threshold 🙂

So, when will you fire it up and see if the wheels go round ?

I had to adjust the clutch on mine by spannering about with the pedal box, at first the wheels wanted to go round even in neutral.  But 10 mins of spannering sorted it.  Its pretty cool actually making it go forwards and backwards for the first time.

5 hours ago, SM25T said:

24 minutes ago, Brownmonster said:

Epic. Being a physics programmer this made me smile

That's very polite: if you've measured your weight you don't need to multiply anything by 9.81...

; - )

Jonathan

On 27/06/2024 at 11:19, Ainsley said:

Then when it went to Caterham Silverstone, they torqued them up properly. 

They do this as part of the PDQ. 

I think you mean the PBC but given the cursory nature of when Caterham did mine (their lack of attention to detail led to an IVA fail) you could be right!

🤣

• 2 weeks later...