Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any issues with MOTs and emissions

Mat Jackson

Im looking at a K Series car and want to upgrade the engine with cams and head work.  This is a factory car, with a Cat so will need to pass emissions.

As Im new to Caterham's, how easy are they to get through emissions when they have a modified engine?

Previous car was a Westfield, and it was registered as a Q plate so used to have no such issues with emissions

21 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Do you have any previous emissions values?

And have you already found the relevant procedure and limits?

Jonathan

Not yet - I was just getting the lie of the land to understand how well these cars get through emissions generally!!

There used to be some disagreements about how they should be tested. It's smart to resolve that before the test. 

Most seem to get through fine, and i'm trying to remember whether there have been problems with modified Ks.

Usual advice is to get the engine and the catalyst nice and hot. (And the brakes.)

Jonathan

Mat,

my car started as a 2004 SV 140bhp k series 9 years ago 

changed to k maps to “add a little bit”

no mot issues

then 4-2-1 exhaust “to add a bit more”

no mot issues

full vvc engine rebuild last year and now 217bhp ( have a look at my blog)

no mot issues

My April ‘98 K is pre-sva and self build so visual inspection only. The introduction of the sva test was delayed several months and it is the introduction date (1999/2000 - I cannot remember) after which an emissions test is required - it will be in the archives, quoting the relevant MOT tester notes. Earlier factory builds usually need an emissions test.

It is a bit hit/miss how the rules are applied at the MOT. 

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

Previously owned a 'tweaked' 1.6K Supersport @ 155bhp - Jenveys, new Emerald 2 channel ECU, verniers. I knew emissions after upgrade could effect the next MoT problem so took lap top to tweak the engine for a pass. Which surprisingly the inspector did not mind.

Got it to a pass but unfortunately during the subsequent trials & tribulations of doing so the emissions testing machines exhaust sensor tip burnt out !

Subsequent tests at the same garage were, shall I say, more relaxed. 

That garage has now closed down but have found another 'friendly' garage & inspector.

Edited by Geoff Brown

I just take mine to a normal local MOT station. No problems with emissions on my previous K or the Sigma 310R. I consider it a lot of safety checking that might find something I haven’t and a check that the engine is running correctly and within limits.

My 1.6K  tweaked to much the same level as Geoff above would not pass emissions until the map was adjusted. I think the future of understanding Mot stations is limited. My usual understanding tester on my last visit a couple of months ago  had had new testing equipment installed which linked directly to DVLA for a result. Standard untuned cars should be ok but I think one could struggle with anything non standard in future. My own car is home tweaked but not sure the whole process is legal if not factory approved. 

Posted (edited)

R500K Year 2000 I found mapping made little or no difference (with Cat). However, balancing between the throttle bodies was what it was all about; that was after finding the Caterham branded Titan throttle boddies were goosed and had to be replaced. But there was a trick, we have an emissions test device at home. I've long wondered if maybe the club could buy one to lend out (they are expensive). The limits (here in CH) for my R500K are CO Under 0.5 vol % , HC below 100 ppm, CO2 Above 12 vol % . You could ask a garage to test just this for you (but here that costs £50 a time minimum, hence our own device https://www.kane.co.uk/product-selector/automotive-emission-analysers I THINK mine is an earlier version of the "4" - although mine offers the crucial HC.). 

TBH armed with a tester it's just a matter of patience.

Edited by anthonym

On 06/07/2024 at 18:27, Gridgway said:

But that doesn't tell the whole story.  Home built vehicles built before a certain date (was that when IVA came in) are visible smoke only which applies to both my 80's and 90's Caterhams

It's the 6th digit of the VIN being K or C for cars built before July 1998

• Support Team
On 06/07/2024 at 18:27, Gridgway said:

But that doesn't tell the whole story.  Home built vehicles built before a certain date (was that when IVA came in) are visible smoke only which applies to both my 80's and 90's Caterhams

Hence the second part of my post: 

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • Wankel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated vehicles

IVA came in on August 1st 1998 so "amateur built vehicles" first used before 01/08/1998 are treated as first used before 01/08/1975 and are therfore "visible smoke" only.