Click here if you are having website access problems ×

QED and K Series Tuning

Mat Jackson

Im looking at potential buying a 1600 Road sport, currently running 140 BHP, but would ideally like more power.

Its already running ITBs and has a 636 cam fitted

I`d like to source and build an 1800 unit with VVC head, and add in QEDs fast road clam, which claims an increase power to 175 BHP with the TB set up.

Has anyone else got any experience with QED and this set up, or any other recommendations for tuning to this level.  I dont want to do much work on the bottom end (so head and cams) and also want to keep it driveable as a fast road car.

Previous experience was a Westfield with 200bhp, so looking for w similar set up

Thanks,

M

15 minutes ago, DirtBuddha said:

I have a low mileage 1.8 VVC engine from an MGF complete with all the VVC stuff available in case you need one. Came out of a car that suffered front end damage.

£995 located West Sussex. 

Thanks - May be interested in this if the sale comes off!!

What was the mileage and was it out of a Caterham?

Mat

16 minutes ago, Mat Jackson said:

Thanks - May be interested in this if the sale comes off!!

What was the mileage and was it out of a Caterham?

Mat

Hi, no it’s from an MGF. Same engine though… 

IIRC the car had only done 32k miles when it was crashed. 

12 minutes ago, Englishmaninwales said:

The EU3 VVC with K Maps ECU gives a nice upgrade circa 160bhp..

Is that keeping the VVC operational or just using the VVC head?  Apologies, not familiar with K Maps - any details on this?

2 hours ago, Mat Jackson said:

Has anyone else got any experience with QED and this set up, or any other recommendations for tuning to this level

Thanks,

M

QED or DVA......Both would give a suitable upgrade.

I'm looking for a similar vvc engine, however I've been warned to expect problems with heads in most engines for sale on eBay. If this engine hasn't overheated - you're doing well and onto a winner.

Unfortunately, like most things I want everything cheap so it's out of my price range.

6 hours ago, Mat Jackson said:

Is that keeping the VVC operational or just using the VVC head?  Apologies, not familiar with K Maps - any details on this?

Kmaps.co.uk will uprate your ECU (EU3 only) and keep it MOT compliant. This keeps the existing 1800 configured withVVC mechs. But 160 is as far as you can go keeping this configuration

Edited by Englishmaninwales

NB general wisdom (ie from DVA aka oilyhands on this form) is that the standard pistons shouldn't go above 7200. Only the mg 160 pistons or aftermarket should go higher. There's is a known weakness with the piston rings (?? I can't remember, Google is your friend).

I'm mentioning this as I think k maps don't lower the Rev limit & so you will have to be careful.

On 25/06/2024 at 23:32, Miker7 said:

NB general wisdom (ie from DVA aka oilyhands on this form) is that the standard pistons shouldn't go above 7200. Only the mg 160 pistons or aftermarket should go higher. There's is a known weakness with the piston rings (?? I can't remember, Google is your friend).

I'm mentioning this as I think k maps don't lower the Rev limit & so you will have to be careful.

For information, it is the ring land between the top and second ring on the thrust (inlet) side that fractures, followed by loss of compression and piston disintegration. The 160 pistons have a thicker ring land, smaller valve pockets and extra buttressing under the crown adjacent to the gudgeon pin bosses, this strengthens the pistons considerably. When 160 pistons are used in a 1600 there will be issues connected with the smaller valve pockets as the pistons sit 1.4mm higher in the bore than on the 1800.

Most of the pistons shown here are from standard 1600 and 1800 supersports, one is from a standard 1800.

The failure point is so consistent that you can almost take a fractured land from one broken piston and place into another.

Oily

IMG_2591.jpeg

IMG_2592.jpeg

IMG_2593.jpeg

IMG_2594.jpeg

Edited by oilyhands

If you need to know how much things cost in the current market (last year) have a look at my blog

It make the upgrade route illogical, better to sell and upgrade the car

but, when did logic ever get in the way of emotional attachment to a car 😀

19 hours ago, D Jones said:

but, when did logic ever get in the way of emotional attachment to a car  😀

That ⬆️

I built my car, it’s *my* car, so that nice Mr Cresswell at Premier Power benefited when I wanted more power.

I know fiscally, it wasn’t the best decision but…