Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headset advice - driver to passenger

Ainsley

So after a bit of actually searching the archives 🙂  There seems to be a choice of 3 solutions to enable me to talk to my passenger and avoid going deaf.

1. Peltor approx. £284 each
  2. Tufftalk approx. £220 each
  3. Pro Com approx. £460 each (is that right ?)

If all I want is to chat to my passenger and stop going deaf - which is the best set to get.  They all seem pretty expensive !

• Leadership Team

Or a 4th option … second hand Autocom SPA with the headsets home-built into Peltor Optime ear defenders.
Around £100 and gives you driver - passenger comms, and also if you want: nav input, phone input (via BT if you want to add it), volume increase based on ambient noise, and expandable to car-to-car if you want to add a PMR radio. It’s a tried and tested alternative and doesn’t involve charging anything.

Stu.

• Like 1

I'd second the Autocom option, had one plumbed into my car for 20+ years and it works brilliantly. I use Peltor Optime II ear defenders which give a bit more noise protection but don't blow off with an aeroscreen (Tried Optime III's but as soon as you get up to motorway speeds they try to exit the car!)

Years ago I had an Autocom on one of my motorcycles - worked fine.  But the wires always drove me nuts.  I want something that's wireless to lower the hassle factor.

For my motorcycles its Senna Bluetooth, so I don't want a step back in time for the 7 communication solutions.

• Leadership Team

We use Sena on the bike, wires are a complete pita and if we’re staying anywhere we take the helmets in anyway so can charge them. We’ve found in the 7 wires aren’t an issue but you may of course prefer to be fully wireless. 

Stu.

Edited to add … the quality of comms with the Autocom SPA is far better than we’ve managed to achieve on the bike with the Sena/Nav6/Garmin/BT solutions, if I could get a decent BT solution I would but as yet my personal experience is wired is better.

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

For my motorcycles its Senna Bluetooth, so I don't want a step back in time for the 7 communication solutions.

57 minutes ago, SLR No.77 said:

the quality of comms with the Autocom SPA is far better than we’ve managed to achieve on the bike with the Sena/Nav6/Garmin/BT solutions, if I could get a decent BT solution I would but as yet my personal experience is wired is better.

Is this something to do with models, Bluetooth generations etc? Which versions are/were you using, please?

Jonathan