Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Flywheel Weights and upgrade confusion

I am a bit confused! I have a 310R in standard form and I wonder what the flywheel weight is. I think it is lighter than in the 270 but not sure what the actual weight is. Northampton motorsport list a 4.30kg flywheel and say this is less than the standard 7.1kg, but I don't really know if 7.1kg is the 270 or 310. The Caterham parts sit lists this one at 4.48kg https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/5335-flywheel-lightweight-for-sigma-variable-cam-engine.html Part of me assumes this may be the standard one  on the 310R?

I'm sure one of you brilliant minds will know the answer! I am planning to upgrade onto throttle bodies and it has all become more complicated now that Premier Power have closed their workshop. Their F175 upgrade looked to be exactly what I wanted and I am not sure really who else could offer a similar thing now. They (premier Power) talked about a flywheel even lighter than the the standard 310R saying theirs was 3kg lighter than 'Caterham's own version' whatever that means!!

Any insight appreciated.

I think (and it is only a think!) the standard flywheel is 7.2kg found on the S spec cars, the R spec such as your 310R is 4.48kg and Premier Power’s was lighter still. 
Based on this was it 1.48kg? Seems incredibly light! 

IMG_5316.png

no it is not 1.48 kg, they are basing the 3 kg lighter on the original 7.2kg, so it may well have been 4.2kg , anything below about 3kg would be horrible to drive,

Also remember its all about rotational inertial so a 4kg flywheel with all the weight at the edge is far worse than a 4kg flywheel with all the weight as a point mass at the centre , so not all kgs are the same !

• Like 1

• Area Representative

I think this part is from Burton Power. You'd need to call them to verify fit but they have one at 3.7Kg

Northampton Motorsport will be able to help you. Beagler had his upgraded to 175 specification there. 

Simon at Meteor is now offering Sigma upgrades. https://meteormotorsport.com/caterham/caterham-engine-and-power/

DerekH

Yes Northampton did mine. Dont know the weight without digging but it starts on the button and idles at 1100 ish  and goes like muck off a shovel

Graham have replied to your PM, hope you find it useful.

Edited by Beagler

Just to correct those who have commented on Premier Power's ultralight flywheel and clutch weights.

Clue is in the title "flywheel and clutch".  The Premier Power Sigma Ultralight Flywheel and Clutch is 3kgs lighter than Caterham's lightweight flywheel (fitted with Ford clutch cover).  Caterham use the standard Ford clutch cover which is an 8 1/2" clutch, the PP cover is a 7 1/4" diameter clutch.

This completely transforms the cars driving characteristics, more so on track with improved throttle response and engine braking.

The standard Ford flywheel and clutch as fitted on the 270 engine, is 6kgs heavier than the PP ultralight flywheel and clutch.

Finished now🙂

• Like 2