Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Now taking orders: new CaterLED high level brake + indicator lights

Have just fitted mine (CaterLED-R) to my 170S and positioned them a little lower and angled slightly inwards so that they don't interfere/clash with the half hood.

Very pleased with them. As can be seen in the attached photos for indicators and sidelights they are very bright and the brake lights (not pictured) are even brighter. As a 2024 car I have the latest Caterham LED rear lights which are mega-bright so a useful upgrade if you don't have them on your car.

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

• Like 1

I have to say I had to do a long motorway trip last weekend during the week with trucks etc, I felt a bit more visible and felt I was more visible in the traffic. To me for every 7 owner this add on is a very sensible upgrade.

Mrp

• Like 2

Mine arrived today and I've just finished fitting them to a 2022 420r.  Firstly, great service and packaging, really well done!  Secondly, I echo everything MRP said in their 18 July post - I had to do the same and cut my hands to bits. I need to reglue the carpet down too.  All fine but made a short job a lot longer...*

A nice plug and play task but one I needed to take my time on. Really pleased with the end result.

Note, for those fitting these to LED's where the joining parts go through the rear arches, you might need to utilise the green rubber washer on the existing union and use it on the new union, such that it has two rubber washers. For some reason the new single green washer the Caterleds came with would've meant the union moved around a bit in the arch skin. With two washers that's resolved.

*also would've helped if I'd scrolled down the instructions to the 'LED' part, rather than read the top part.  I have rear LED lights so fitting is completely different 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

@Sean 270S thank you for the kind words!

@JamesTiptree   thanks for the update and kind words too!

I wonder if new factory cars have a bit tighter wiring system than older cars, that's the only thing I can think of with respect to it being more finicky. Although the round wiring plug is (or should be) pretty accessible from the top.

Fun fact: every CaterLED light actually get's installed for testing on our car, before we ship them, so we have installed/removed ~100+ lights without cutting our hands, so that's the only thing I can think of. In any case I'm glad you got it to work. I hope you had a nice cold beer afterwards for your hard work and troubles 😉 

It's also a bit strange you needed to use a second green rubber washer. Even though my car is 2005 I was able to fit them on without them moving through the panels, so that's odd. The only thing I can think of was maybe you had the black lock ring on the wrong way? We aren't back home until mid next week but we'll run another test to see if we can replicate your issue.

Thank again!

It wasn't a problem in the end but thought you'd appreciate the feedback. Great product, as I say. Photos below if it helps.

The extra washer wasn't to stop it moving through the panel as such, but rather back and forth a little in the circular hole in the skin. I'm pretty sure the collar was locked in but I'll check again tonight, good idea.

The wiring is definitely tight in there and makes working in the space harder than anticipated. You'll see a connector attached tightly to the underside of the boot floor too.

20240813_191459.jpg

20240813_190843.jpg

20240813_184816.jpg

Edited by JamesTiptree
  • Thanks 1

I decided not to take the floor out and instead opted to wriggle around under neath, it was a little time consuming and tight but no reward without effort and a little patience right. I only wanted brake lights so maybe there was less wiring/plugs to worry about.

Once connected I then ran the light strips up to the roll bar by very gently bending the metal inner boot lining corners away from the foot of the roll bar no more than half a centre at most and then threaded the led bar up from underneath, closing the gap back up and then re-gluing the small area of carpet back, it looks as neat and tidy as it did before so I’m more than happy with how they turned out. I used the cable ties to tidy up the connectors and the self-adhesive cable clips to run the cable up nice & neat 👍🏻

Now all that left is to resist putting the lovely Caterled sticker anywhere 😂

Edited by Sean 270S
  • Like 1