Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Now taking orders: new CaterLED high level brake + indicator lights

Fitted mine today as well, I have a 2017 420R SV which also has a carpeted boot so slightly more work as the carpets need to be removed. I would also add the on my car a lot of things are attached to the underside of the boot floor so its not quite as easy as Davids pictures. However they are now fitted and seem to work very well on testing.

I will post pictures later as by accident I flattened my battery while fitting !!!!!

I have a very good long brake light fitted between the 2 rear braces from the rollbar to the body, and looking at the difference between the brake lights when the indicators are on I would suggest as a recommendation that David does a indicator only version for the UK as the brake lights and indicators together does not really work as the orange and red merge but obviously its not a problem with my big central brake light.

I hope David you take this as a constructive suggestion.

As I have said previously very very good kit.

Mrp

Edited by Mrp

Posted (edited)

@Reindeer interesting on the red backing tape. I haven’t come across that before. All the ones we did just peeled off. 

@Mrp thanks for the feedback. We tested about a dozen or so lights and overall these were the best across the board. I wish we had more control but unfortunately we don’t at these volumes. Wiring them as indicators only is an option we offer. If you want to swap yours we can absolutely do that - we’d be happy to send you a replacement set with indicators only. There is also a way to snip the small wires inside our harness if you want just message me.

Edited by dave-canada-slr

15 hours ago, Mrp said:

Fitted mine today as well, I have a 2017 420R SV which also has a carpeted boot so slightly more work as the carpets need to be removed. I would also add the on my car a lot of things are attached to the underside of the boot floor so its not quite as easy as Davids pictures. However they are now fitted and seem to work very well on testing.

I will post pictures later as by accident I flattened my battery while fitting !!!!!

I have a very good long brake light fitted between the 2 rear braces from the rollbar to the body, and looking at the difference between the brake lights when the indicators are on I would suggest as a recommendation that David does a indicator only version for the UK as the brake lights and indicators together does not really work as the orange and red merge but obviously its not a problem with my big central brake light.

I hope David you take this as a constructive suggestion.

As I have said previously very very good kit.

Mrp

Hi Mrp... I received my lights last week and they've not made it into the garage yet, so I'm yet to fit them!

I've a carpeted floor (2024 420R) - any tips on the best way to remove/access the relevant wires before I start investigating/hacking away myself?

Thanks in advance 👍

I just went over the carpet......if you pull it off you'd have to readhesive it again.....

The little wire holders supplied with the kit do stick to the carpet so it still looks tidy and is in a corner.......But I get it's a bit of a cheat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi David

I didn't remove the floor completely as a few things are connected I think related to the fuel pump.

Clip the boot cover up to the roll bar.

I lifted the carpet out on the floor and the sides by the roll bar removed the fuel filler metal cover screwed to the boot floor, and undid all the self tapping screws that hold the back part on the floor in, be careful the edges of the floor are quite sharp (ask me how I know 😢) the wires and box that are attached to the L/H side front of the floor underneath so with a little bit of fiddling I managed to so sort of hinge it from the front and get to the plugs which are down each side of the fuel tank.

The fuel filler side is easier than the passenger side.

I have to say my hands look a but now like I have been wrestling a cat !!! because there are quite a lot of things to scratch you and space is very tight. Its all gone back together quite well, I used double sided tape to put the carpets back.

Kind regards

Mrp

Edited by Mrp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, thanks for the added feedback and help. It’s greatly appreciated and I love how people are so willing to help !

None of our 3-4 test cars had carpet so the info here is helpful. We’ll amend the installation instructions with a few comments about it. 

You definitely don’t need to remove the boot floor - at least in the dozens and dozens of times we fitted our prototypes and the real kits - just tip it up and pass the light strip under it. 

Maybe each model is a bit different but so far our hands and knuckles have survived unscathed and that includes testing every single kit on our car before they ship to you guys.  🙂   Maybe practice makes perfect and hopefully you only have to do it once !  

Thanks again! 

Hi David

I think it is probably how the loom is routed in my car there just was not enough slack to unplug it from underneath or to bring it higher to unplug so I had to do the unplugging and repluging  in the gap either side of the fuel tank.

Mrp

I did wonder about a switch in the UK as I'm not sure a harsh MOT tester would think, but most MOT testers are usually a little bit flexible with our cars. I know from my industry Germany is not very flexible with much 🙂

You're allowed 4 indicator lights at the rear of a car in the UK, two mandatory and two optional additional. If the tester decides its one additional light per side you're fine, if they're in an argumentative mood and claim two additional lights per side it will fail. If you think about its original application on the back of a bike it is technically two lights when used separately. In this case they're used together so .... one light????

(i'm not an MOT tester, this is how I've interpreted the rules)

Edited by Miker7

Hi all

Had a bit of a brain fart tonight and forgot something, I bought my 420R at 3 years old from Caterham Gatwick. One week later I was sitting at a junction on the way back from my brother in laws house near High Wycombe. My car was rear ended by a mobility car at a T junction and they admitted fault and ( didn't see me, look at the colour of the car !!!) wanted to get the repair back to as new. This involved Caterham collecting it and it went back to Gatwick to have the rear end stripped. (wings, seats, boot floor, fuel tank etc etc) It then went to Bristol for rear end re-skinning and paint before being returned to Gatwick for reassembly and returned to me. This took a month.

I'm guessing in that time maybe the looms were secured a bit more securely with the fuel tank out.

Just a thought.

Mrp

Finally got round to fitting my set. A great addition to the rear end. 
Anyone else got a strip of honeycomb aluminium floating around acting a a spacer for the boot floor? I’ve stuck it down now but was surprised to see it just sat on a channel against the rear skin. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrp said:

Hi Pete,

My first 7 was the same I presumed it was because it was an ex academy car.

Current one is different.

Mrp

Mines never been an academy car. I assume theres been a design revision since 2005 (when mine was built). It’s the first time the boot floor has been up so VHB tape to the rescue for now. 
@dave-canada-slr, I’ll hopefully get a couple of pictures for you this weekend and post them up. My hood bag does obscure a couple of the lower leds but still plenty visible.  

• Thanks 1

A couple of daytime shots. Sunlight was right behind me so not quite that clear. Can’t do the brake lights but we all know what they look like lol. 

If they get used anywhere public, please obscure the number plate 😉

IMG_3835.thumb.jpeg.9bce3e164906ccadb2bed8fa3e1ad683.jpegIMG_3836.thumb.jpeg.65b22f9c7ce305139a5cbf8ce0bc5796.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from vacation and getting caught up on orders. Another batch went out the door today, and another batch is going out tomorrow! More parts are arriving next week. We've enlisted the younger brothers to fold boxes, and count zip ties and cable clips!

@Reindeer thank you for the MOT news, that is great to hear! And thank you for the photo. I love how the lights reflect off the boot cover, making us even more visible, and you can also see how small the standard 7 lights are. 

@PlastererPete thank you for the pics!

@Andreas Reinhold thank you also for the video 

66B748D7-AD1C-4132-8AB2-29D0E3607E4C_1_105_c.jpeg

7525AD7A-F8FB-4EE6-8AA2-C46B15D1F74F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1