Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sourcing flasher relay

Chris300

Hi, probably a silly question. Indicators and hazards are not flashing, lights stay on. Looking at threads, can be a few issues. Have toggled hazard swith several times and no improvement, so going to replace the flasher unit. Anyone know where to source, can you use universal unit, or is this specifific. Unit I have has the code 190912 but can't find this. 

Car is Supersport  R 210 Duratech 

Thanks 

17190690236293316659662042607233.jpg

Just one precaution: older units won't work properly with LED indicators. (There isn't enough load.)

Apart from that they're highly standardised and should be available from Halfords or a local factor.

Check for signs of overheating on the old unit and the base.

Jonathan

I bought from these guys so that I have a set of spares. They all worked. I would have bought Bosch ones from Autodoc but couldn't be bothered to wait for delivery. The code on your unit is not important as different suppliers use different codes for the same spec units.

IMG_6897.jpg

Edited by CAT170
clarification

image.png.e4b1e9f22e11740921ca4e52521945af.png

If there's any problem matching relays/flashers/etc by part number:

1 The terminal numbers (30, 85, 87a etc) are internationally standardised, originally Bosch but now DIN 72552.

2 The circuit diagram on the new has to be close enough to the old. (Watch out for diodes.)

3 The current rating has to be adequate.

4 The pins have to fit the base!  : - )

Jonathan

I agree with your points Jonathan. I spent a while working through those exact things.

One interesting point I found was that Caterham use relays with a diode across the coil rather than a resistor, so whilst better at preventing spikes killing the ECU they are less robust. Replacing a relay is preferable to replacing an ECU though!