Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Clutch Issue

K200CSR

For the 3rd time in 38,000 miles I'm having a clutch issue on my CSR 200.

It starts with the occasional inability to disengage the clutch and, if the current issue progresses, leads to a near total inability to disengage the clutch.

Both of the previous failures have resulted in broken friction plates.image.thumb.jpeg.07005d8e3bcf28a6228c4e60cad19728.jpeg

Leading to

image.thumb.jpeg.b2f60ac5b960571127a536959947d874.jpeg

The original friction plate was a CP5352-5 and Caterham suggested trying this CP5352-12 (the CSR260 version) but this also failed.  It currently has a CP5352-12 installed in it and I changed the outer bit (sorry not the technical term) when I did the last change.

As the CP5352-nn plates are no longer available it appears Helix versions are being suggested.

My question is what could be causing this type of failure?  I would like to fix the cause at the same time as installing the third plate!  If the cause is me then what am I doing wrong?

I'm at the point of ordering a new spigot bearing, friction plate, 6-speed box input shaft and bearing but I'd rather not buy everything if I can help it.

Thankyou in anticipation.

4 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

The best plate is the AP5351 which has a competition lining but more importantly has steel backed linings to reduce the chance of bursting the lining as you are experiencing.

I have one in for sale with a cover and if needed ttv flywheel etc to.

*wavey*

Cheers but the why is more important than what to replace it with, at this point.

There are a couple of threads here and here that may provide some clues.  The second one relates my R400D clutch failure while touring in France.

It would be worth sending your photos to AP Racing for their comments.  They were very supportive when I contacted them back in 2015.

JV

Not sure what the cause could be, but I’ve been to Helix in Banbury this week to sort a clutch for my CSR260. They now supply the friction plate for the 260s and 620s to Caterham (70-9012 rather than AP CP5352-12).

They were super helpful and tested out my AP pressure plate and tuned their friction plate to suit.

Well worth talking to Tom there and I suspect he will offer some insight and solutions.

(FYI AP wanted 6 weeks to make a friction plate, Helix took 2 days. Neither stock them and Helix were less than half the price of Caterham)

Edited by SamC

TTV also offer an 8.5" organic Caterham clutch or 6 paddle cerametallic 7.25" too with great flywheels to suit

Assuming the spigot bearing hasn't collapsed and first motion shaft isn't hanging out the origin of the fractured centre could be damage during installation as the engine and box were mated they were allowed to hang for a short period, he fractured lining can be down to hard use but in this case more likely as a result of the spring cushion between the linings having suffered local collapse.

Thank you all for you feedback and links.

I think in my case it's over revving the clutch when changing down on track that's probably done it.

I've never learnt to heal and toe so I guess it's time to learn to reduce the risk and move away from my current gear-change and breaking ways.