Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600 Crossflow - Engine idling at too high reves

Very rare post from me. 

I seem to be having a problem with my Crossflow 7. Once the engine gets warm, the revs won't drop back to normal idling speed. It's settling at about 2,000 rpm which is too high

I've tried playing with the idle screw on the throttle linkage but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Any ideas what the solution might be?

• Area Representative

I'd say they also need all 4 throats balancing then you can set the idle. DCOE's go out of balance quite quickly which can/does throw the idle out.

More than likely - lots of popping, banging and spitting at the moment - but the over revving issue seems to have gone away. The next issue is my temperature gauge keeps heading to the red - but then drops back to just above the half way point. It looks to me like the gauge may be at fault.

48 minutes ago, Eric McLoughlin said:

The next issue is my temperature gauge keeps heading to the red - but then drops back to just above the half way point. It looks to me like the gauge may be at fault.

Assuming everything else is OK (thermostat sticking, air locks etc.) then surely more likely to be the sender (is it an electrical gauge?).  The instrument itself is essentially just a volt meter I think.  If it is a mechanical gauge I am not sure what could cause that behaviour, other than actual temperature fluctuations

1 hour ago, Eric McLoughlin said:

The next issue is my temperature gauge keeps heading to the red - but then drops back to just above the half way point. It looks to me like the gauge may be at fault.

Does the dropping coincide with the fan cutting in?

Otherwise I'd agree that the most likely fault is the sender. You can test that by measuring its resistance. But also check that the battery voltage isn't wandering inappropriately.

Jonathan