Click here if you are having website access problems ×

June LF article about changing tyres - 13" wheels

Geoff Brown

• Area Representative

When did the TP for 13" wheels on ZZS/R increase to 23psi ? Quote, 'Taken from the owner's hand book'.  Have always assumed & run at 18psi all round. Must be like driving on ice !   

The ZZS/ZZR tyre carcass may not maintain the correct shape at the lower pressures due to the design being for a wider range of car weights than the CR500 were designed for, leading to uneven wear. I have come across this issue with the Nankang AR-1s, where they quote pressures for cars down to 800kg in weight, but not below. If I scale the pressure down (I've tried as low as 14PSI and as high as 21PSI cold), then I get very uneven wear. I have found those tyres need to be above 23PSI hot to wear properly, usually I aim for 25PSI hot. With the higher pressure, besides longer tyre life, I also get the same level of grip and similar handling characteristics.

• Like 1

The current owner’s manual does indeed recommend 23psi for the ZZS tyres. Avon, however, recommend 18-21psi for the same tyres (see their guide in the technical pages of this website).

I’ve found Avon’s advice to be better …

MattB

• Area Representative

Confess I did experiment with cold TPs many years ago but the car did not feel or handle correctly so incrementally dropped pressures from 21psi until the car felt right. Guess what, got back to 18psi !  

I still stand by 23psi being potentially too high & making the car feel or handle weirdly.

On 18psi the CR500 wear was relatively equal across the tread as is the ZZS at the moment. So IF 23psi is the new recommended pressure I feel that my tyres would have a central wear band.