Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Loctite 270 - strong/high strength threadlock

• Area Representative

Hello

Wondered if anyone has any experiences of the above?

Background: following my breakdown on the way home from the fish n chip run, I'm gradually putting the car back together. One job is re-attaching the gold DS pump pulley which caused the breakdown in the first place. I've been advised to use Loctite 270 to ensure the bolt stays where it should, but someone else has said that if I used 270, I'll never get the bolt out again, should I have to! 

Plan B is to use Loctite 243 and torque the bolt up.

Welcome your thoughts...

Thanks

Nick

• Area Representative
3 minutes ago, Nick Bassett said:

Hello

Wondered if anyone has any experiences of the above?

Background: following my breakdown on the way home from the fish n chip run, I'm gradually putting the car back together. One job is re-attaching the gold DS pump pulley which caused the breakdown in the first place. I've been advised to use Loctite 270 to ensure the bolt stays where it should, but someone else has said that if I used 270, I'll never get the bolt out again, should I have to! 

Plan B is to use Loctite 243 and torque the bolt up.

Welcome your thoughts...

Thanks

Nick

Loctite 243 (Red) is medium strength so with that & applying the correct torque loading the bolt should stay in place. I think that 270 may be over kill as one never knows when that pulley may have to be removed..........

• Like 2

• Area Representative

Thanks Ainsley.

It's a fine line in putting enough not to ensure it doesn't come off in normal operation, but does when you need it to!

Basically if its torqued up it should be fine.

Bolts that are susceptible to coming undone should have nyloc nuts or locking washers or shake proof washers.

Its not like someone is undoing them, its just vibration.  So a tiny amount should do the job.

• Like 1

Mechanical fasteners like so called ‘shake proof’ washers aren’t any guarantee. Ask any 7 owner. 

And Loctite or Henkel will provide good advice readily about which of their products to use and how to use it. I’d advise you to ask them, for dependable guidance. 

Loctite 270 was what I used to attach the spindle/pin to the clevis bracket on the back of my CSR when I replaced them. If that's what was used on the originals then it took a hell of a lot of heat to get it to eventually soften its grip. Stick with blue or red. I've literally just changed my gearbox torque restrictor "dogbone" on my transit and those bolts had about 4-5 threads of blue loctite 243 and they were all hard to shift. I cleaned them up and replaced with the same.

• Like 1